Transfer dump.

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Re: Transfer dump.

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:57 pm

You did not tell anything about the to be supported environments

anyway ...
Ooups, "As of z/OS Version 1 Release 13, IBM has withdrawn support for the z/OS Distributed File Service support that utilizes the Distributed Computing Environment (DCE) architecture." -
Samba will not work. Can anyone help with ISCSI? Or possibly offer other options?

quoting the relevant parts of the manual at the link I posted
An overview of SMB support

z/OS Distributed File Service SMB Administration
SC23-6886-00

The Distributed File Service Server Message Block (SMB) support provides a server that makes Hierarchical File System (HFS) files and data sets available to SMB clients. At the same time, these files can be shared with local z/OS® UNIX applications. In addition, Windows SMB clients can make remote print requests to z/OS printers that are connected to the Infoprint Server for z/OS.

Server Message Block (SMB) is a protocol for remote file/print access that is used by Windows clients. This protocol is also known as Common Internet File System (CIFS). The data sets supported include: sequential data sets on DASD (Direct Access Storage Device), partitioned data sets (PDS), partitioned data sets extended (PDSE) and Virtual Storage Access Method (VSAM) data sets. The data set support is typically referred to as Record File System (RFS) support. To access shared directory paths and shared printers, the SMB protocol is supported through the use of TCP/IP on z/OS. Personal Computer (PC) clients on the network use the file and print sharing functions that are included in their operating systems.

Note: Throughout this documentation, references are made to HFS. Unless otherwise stated, HFS is a generic reference that includes HFS, z/OS File System (zFS), TFS, and AUTOMNT file system data. If you are in a sysplex shared file system environment, SMB support of zFS is limited to zFS compatibility mode file systems that are non-sysplex aware.

Supported SMB clients

z/OS Distributed File Service SMB Administration
SC23-6886-00

The supported SMB clients include the following clients:
Microsoft Windows Server 2008
Microsoft Windows Terminal Server on Windows Server 2008
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, and Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Editions (32- and 64-bit clients)
Microsoft Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition and Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Windows Terminal Server on Windows Server 2003
SUSE LINUX with Samba (SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (s390) - Kernel 2.6.5-7.202.5-s390 with Samba 3.0.14a-0.4)
Redhat Linux with Samba (Kernel 2.4.20-43.9.legacy with Samba 3.0.20-2).
Restriction for Linux clients: Linux clients can use many file systems. Currently, only Linux clients with kernels that support the Samba file system (smbfs) can connect to the z/OS® SMB server. The smbfs file system is part of the Linux smbfs package. The choice to use smbfs is specified when mounting a file system. For example, the following Linux mount command specifies smbfs (the command itself is typically one long unbroken line but is not shown as one unbroken line due to space limitations):
mount -t smbfs //servername/sharename /mountdirectory
-o username=myusername,password=mypassword
The Samba smbmount command automatically uses smbfs (the command itself is typically one long unbroken line but is not shown as one unbroken line due to space limitations):
smbmount //servername/sharename /mountdirectory
-o username=myusername,password=mypassword
Consult your Linux client documentation for availability of the smbfs file system or use the Linux man mount command to determine whether the -t smbfs option is available.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby crazydoc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:28 pm

I'm sorry, but I can't understand you. What you wanted to say?
crazydoc

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:32 pm

that samba is supported
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby crazydoc » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Tried to install SMB, eventually dfskern says:
"Cannot update status. Reason code: 513."
Description of the error and the code is quite vague, maybe someone already seen this before. Please describe what actions you took to resolve?
crazydoc

Postby crazydoc » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:28 pm

A piece of log:
IOEN00151I DFS daemon DFSKERN is ready to process SMB requests.   
IOEP01171A DFS kernel cannot determine user authorization. 344     
CORR: 0                                                           
IOEP01710A Cannot update status. Reason code: 513. 345             
IOEW16041I ss_handle_stream: read error 1121 for socket 11 from 346
crazydoc

Postby crazydoc » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:14 pm

Installed, configured SMB. Unfortunately the maximum achieved transfer rate of 3-4mb/s(experiment tried). Does anyone know better ways?
crazydoc

Previous

Return to All other Mainframe Topics