Transfer a PDS or PS from mainframe to a server

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Transfer a PDS or PS from mainframe to a server

Postby prasun » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:11 pm

I need to transfer a PDS or PS from the mainframe to a remote server. I want the members of the PDS to be individual files on the target file system.
prasun

Re: Transfer a PDS or PS from mainframe to a server

Postby MrSpock » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:25 pm

I edited your topic title and description so it would make more sense logistically.

The transfer of a PDS will give you individual files on the target file system.

In order for the forum to provide any more details, you'll have to give us a whole lot more information to work from.

Without getting into too many details, in order to transfer files between the mainframe and other servers, you need to use the proper data transfer procedures as your site mandates. The method you use will have to depend on your site's requirements for data security, the networking between the mainframe and other servers, and what standard/option products you have to employ these methods.

Some of the standard data transmission methods are:

1. File transfer through a 3270-emulator. These products run on your desktop, and require you to first establish a 3270 session to a mainframe TSO session. Once this is done, you can use the file transfer options from the product to upload/download files as you need. This method will then call the IND$FILE command on the mainframe to allow the data transfer to take place.

The use of IND$FILE is typically restricted or alltogether prohibited.

2. FTP (File Transfer Protocol). This is a TCP/IP based standard for data exchange between two systems. It requires a typical client-server relationship between the systems involved. The client is the side that initiates the transmission. If you want to initiate the transmission from the mainframe, then the mainframe must act as the client and the other system must act as the server. If you want to initiate the transmission from the other system, the that side acts as the client and the mainframe becomes the server.

The use of FTP is typically restricted or alltogether prohibited outside of a production environment.

3. Connect:Direct (aka NDM). This is a third-party data transfer solution from Sterling Commerce. It again requires both systems to run the same software. It offers features that FTP doesn't, and is a very common product in many shops.

4. XCOM from CA. Very similar to Connect:Direct.

5. ISPF File Transfer (ISPF Option 3.7). This is a standard feature of ISPF that allows data to be transferred between the mainframe and a Windows system running the Work Station Agent (WSA) program.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby prasun » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:47 pm

i want my function to be automatic...like by just pressing a pf button i should b able to download some pds...so among all these options wchich one suits my requirement??
prasun

Postby MrSpock » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 pm

I would say, in order of the most likely feasability:

1. ISPF File Transfer (FT) Services. If you have the Workstation Agent installed and running, and if you use a consistent TCP/IP address for the Workstation, this option is readily available.
2. File Transfer Protocol (FTP). If you have an available FTP Server on the Workstation/Server, and again if you use a consistent TCP/IP address, this option is also readily available.
3. Connect:Direct/XCOM. Obviously, only if you own these products.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby MrSpock » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:05 pm

prasun, you really need to provide some specific details as to what you want to do and how you will be doing it. I think you'll find that once you can determine the details of the process, writing code around it becomes very easy.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby prasun » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:57 am

i want to download a pds using wsa. but in our company we are not supposed to download any software though i am trying to get the permission. i want to download pds by writing commands and not by using any manual operations like using the mouse. main requirement is like evrytime we have to keep the backup of our program which is stored in some pds member so everytime we have download it to our pc manually ( i.e. using receive option from action menu) so instead of that i want to write a rexx which when evoked can do the things automatically without user's intervention. the name of the pds will be hard coded in the rexx. here is the sample program which i think will work

IPADDR = '9.16.136.24'
OUTFILE = 'OUTFILE'
WSFN = 'D:\TEMP\PROG126.ASM'
/* WSCON - CONNECT TO THE WSA */
"ISPEXEC WSCON IP(IPADDR) CODEPAGE(0037) CHARSET(0697) NOGUIDSP"
IF RC>0 THEN . . .
/* FILEXFER - Transfer WS file to the Host */
"ALLOCATE DS("OUTFILE") NEW CATAL RECF(V B) LRECL(255)"
IF RC>0 THEN . . .
"ISPEXEC FILEXFER WS(WSFN) HOST(OUTFILE) TO(WS)"
IF RC>0 THEN . .

I am not sure will this work or not. i havent tried it since i dont have the permission to download wsa.exe.
prasun

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:46 pm

Hello,

Is there some reason to download at all? Why not allocate another pds on the mainframe and make a copy or simply backup the pds periodically - even daily.

Most organizations do not want their code backups scattered across a bunch of pc's . . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby MrSpock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:55 pm

Looks almost right. A couple of points:

IPADDR = '9.16.136.24'
OUTFILE = 'OUTFILE'
WSFN = 'D:\TEMP\PROG126.ASM'

These are variable definitions. You then need to VPUT them to the ISPF variable pool:

"ISPEXEC VPUT (IPADDR OUTFILE WSFN)"

/* WSCON - CONNECT TO THE WSA */
"ISPEXEC WSCON IP(IPADDR) CODEPAGE(0037) CHARSET(0697) NOGUIDSP"
IF RC>0 THEN . . .
"ALLOCATE DS("OUTFILE") NEW CATAL RECF(V B) LRECL(255)"
IF RC>0 THEN . . .
/* FILEXFER - Transfer WS file to the Workstation */
"ISPEXEC FILEXFER WS(WSFN) HOST(OUTFILE) TO(WS) TEXT"
IF RC>0 THEN . .
"ISPEXEC WSDISCON"
EXIT
MrSpock