GDG

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Re: GDG

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:20 am

You would be best answered by talking to people at your site -- coworkers, site support group, or your team leader. What you are posting makes no sense, and it is quite clear you have absolutely none of the knowledge you need. For example, your statement
we need to call GDG
is complete and utter rubbish -- a GDG can be referenced in a job stream by the base name, or by the relative generation number (0, -5, +1), or by the absolute generation number (<GDG base name>.G????V??) -- but you cannot "call a GDG" since a GDG is not a program, nor is it a dog -- it is a FILE and nothing but a FILE.

Please contact someone at your site for help and stop attempting to get assistance here -- while this is a forum for students and beginners, there IS a presumption that the poster can communicate in written English and convey complex concepts. It is not at all clear at this point that you are capable of doing so.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dn2012 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:32 am

Sorry for wrong sentences.
I have been told to do as

2) Convert the file USATESTA.IMF310.ITD.SOURCE.DATA to a GDG.
3) Use the above changes process the file SYSDN.FAKE.AGNCYIMF.DATA(-2)
dn2012

Postby NicC » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Your SOURCE.DATA dataset is a PDS, right? It has members, right? You want to copy 1 or more of these members to make them a GDG dataset, right? Question: is each member to be its own generation or are they to be concatenated into one generation? I cannot think about the next bit - I have to go to work.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Previous

Return to All other Mainframe Topics