Compiling and linking a program

High Level Assembler(HLASM) for MVS & VM & VSE

Compiling and linking a program

Postby rjmcdowell » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:43 am

Hi everyone! This is my first post here in this forum. I have a question about an exercise I'm working on for school. I am trying to submit a job that compiles an assembler program that uses LE. According to the comments we were to change ZUSER## to our user ID which I have done. The note states: The student might need to modify the JCL for data sets beginning
with CEE. Ask your system programmer what the high-level qualifier (HLQ)
is for the Language Environment data sets. The JCL that might need to be
changed is highlighted here:
//C.SYSLIB DD DSN=SYS1.MACLIB,DISP=SHR
// DD DSN=CEE.SCEEMAC,DISP=SHR
//C.SYSIN DD DSN=ZUSER##.LANG.SOURCE(ASMLE),DISP=SHR
//L.SYSLMOD DD DSN=ZUSER##.LANG.LOAD(ASMLE),DISP=SHR
//L.SYSLIB DD DSN=CEE.SCEELKED,DISP=SHR
// DD DSN=CEE.SCEELKEX,DISP=SHR
This is where my problem is, when I submit, I get an error because it tries to allocate to LISTC and not my user ID. I want it to allocate to my user ID. The problem is with the HLQ for the dataset name but I'm not sure of what I should change in my existing code. I have attached the code and the error message. Thank you for any assistance provided.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjmcdowell

Re: Compiling and linking a program

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:59 am

give the error You have receive - Insufficient space -
the best person to ask would be Your instructor
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby rjmcdowell » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:20 am

I get the space error because it is trying to allocate to LISTC.KC03KBB.SPFTEMP0.CNTL. I don't want it to allocate there. I want it to allocate to my user ID instead of LISTC. I have space LISTC doesn't. I can't figure out how to point it to my ID. When I asked my Professor, he only told me what I already know. That it is trying to allocate to LISTC and not my user ID.
rjmcdowell

Postby steve-myers » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:56 am

ISPF needs to allocate an short term data set in order to submit the JCL in your modified job stream. You don't have any real control over the size, location and name of the data set.

What you can try is this:
  1. Save the member
  2. Type TSO SUB LANG(ASMLE) in the command line where you typed SUB
This takes the job submission outside of ISPF, so ISPF will not allocate the short term temporary data set.

Good luck.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby rjmcdowell » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Thank you!
rjmcdowell

Postby rjmcdowell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:07 am

steve-myers wrote:ISPF needs to allocate an short term data set in order to submit the JCL in your modified job stream. You don't have any real control over the size, location and name of the data set.

What you can try is this:
  1. Save the member
  2. Type TSO SUB LANG(ASMLE) in the command line where you typed SUB
This takes the job submission outside of ISPF, so ISPF will not allocate the short term temporary data set.

Good luck.

I tried running the command you suggested. It stills tries to allocate to LISTC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjmcdowell

Postby steve-myers » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:50 am

Exit all the way out of ISPF to a READY prompt. Enter the PROFILE LIST commanf. You should see something like this though the web site won't display this properly -
 READY                                                                         
prof list                                                                       
 CHAR(0)  LINE(0)    PROMPT   INTERCOM   NOPAUSE NOMSGID NOMODE  WTPMSG   NORECO
VER PREFIX(XXXXXX)  PLANGUAGE(ENU) SLANGUAGE(ENU)                               
 DEFAULT LINE/CHARACTER DELETE CHARACTERS IN EFFECT FOR THIS TERMINAL
Look for the text PREFIX(...) The . characters should be your userid, but I suspect they are LISTC. Use PROFILE PREFIX(...) to change the prefix to your userid. This is the default when your userid was created, but somehow it got changed. I think that's why the data set names you're seeing in the messages are LISTC.xxx. and why SUBMIT could not find the data set. If ISPF SUB still refuses to work, and TSO SUB LANG(ASMLE) refuses to work, exit all the way out of ISPF and try to run SUB LANG(ASMLE) from the READY prompt. If it still cannot find the data set, try SUB 'KC03KBB.LANG.CNTL(ASMLE)'

These users thanked the author steve-myers for the post:
rjmcdowell (Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:00 am)
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby rjmcdowell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:01 am

steve-myers wrote:Exit all the way out of ISPF to a READY prompt. Enter the PROFILE LIST commanf. You should see something like this though the web site won't display this properly -
 READY                                                                         
prof list                                                                       
 CHAR(0)  LINE(0)    PROMPT   INTERCOM   NOPAUSE NOMSGID NOMODE  WTPMSG   NORECO
VER PREFIX(XXXXXX)  PLANGUAGE(ENU) SLANGUAGE(ENU)                               
 DEFAULT LINE/CHARACTER DELETE CHARACTERS IN EFFECT FOR THIS TERMINAL
Look for the text PREFIX(...) The . characters should be your userid, but I suspect they are LISTC. Use PROFILE PREFIX(...) to change the prefix to your userid. This is the default when your userid was created, but somehow it got changed. I think that's why the data set names you're seeing in the messages are LISTC.xxx. and why SUBMIT could not find the data set. If ISPF SUB still refuses to work, and TSO SUB LANG(ASMLE) refuses to work, exit all the way out of ISPF and try to run SUB LANG(ASMLE) from the READY prompt. If it still cannot find the data set, try SUB 'KC03KBB.LANG.CNTL(ASMLE)'

The READY prompt worked!!! Thank you so much! I have been trying to figure this out for 4 days now!
rjmcdowell

Postby prino » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:16 am

It may also be that your SUB command has been taken over by a macro. If it's a CLIST, I'm afraid I cannot help, but if it's by some REXX code, you may, before you submit your job, enter the command TSO EXECUTIL TS and follow that with SUB. If you suddenly get all kinds of "funny" messages, your SUB command has been replaced by a macro - to stop the funny tracing, just enter TE. In this case, i.e. SUB is running some code, you might try, in stead of SUB to use BUILTIN SUB.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy

These users thanked the author prino for the post:
rjmcdowell (Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:13 am)
prino

Postby rjmcdowell » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:13 am

Thank you!
rjmcdowell

Next

Return to Assembler