knowledge levels on mainframe

knowledge levels on mainframe

Postby wout » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:21 am

Hy,

I'm looking for a site where they describe the different knowledge levels required for mainframe development.
For example:

basic Cobol knoledge is .....
Expert Cobol knoledge is .....

thanks,

wout
wout

Re: knowledge levels on mainframe

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:19 am

Hello,

I'm not aware of a site of such descriptions because there are so many definitions for the same level. For example, some organizations consider over 5 years expert while others only consider 8 or 12 as the minimum to be considered expert.

What i have noticed is that many (most) job postings define what level they want and what that means in terms of experience to that organization.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby wout » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:31 pm

thank you for your response Dick.

The problem is that 5 years of experience nothing says about the actual knowledge of a person.
The info i'm looking for is more in the context of setting up a job-clasification system.

wout
wout

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:35 am

Hello,

The problem is that 5 years of experience nothing says about the actual knowledge of a person.
Agreed. Some years ago this came up at one of my clients and their director was puzzled at how some "junior" people knew more than several of the "seniors". As kindly as possible, i explained that several of the "juniors" had 5 or 7 years experience while many of the "seniors" had one year of experience 15-20 times. Basically, they still did things the way they were originally taught and never progressed.

The info i'm looking for is more in the context of setting up a job-clasification system.
Seems like a large undertaking. Best of luck :)

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to Career Guidance