which is better?????? CICS/DB2/COBOL/other

which is better?????? CICS/DB2/COBOL/other

Postby chaituch » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:17 pm

I want to choose my career in particular module..
however it depends my project location only.. but i want to decide my interest... i'm in full condusion... can any one suggest to design my career...?? i'm expecting good suggestions..

Q: which module is better??

DB2
CICS
COBOL

other

and plz suggest the basics to learn from internet.. like some good sites...

regards,
chaitanya
chaituch

Re: which is better?????? CICS/DB2/COBOL/other

Postby NicC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:40 pm

None of your options include TSO/ISPF so why post int this section of the forum - why not post in the careers section?

Besides - you will need all of them
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Re: which is better?????? CICS/DB2/COBOL/other

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:36 pm

DB2, CICS, and COBOL are not modules.

DB2 is a relational database used to store and retrieve data.
CICS is an environment used to allow people to retrieve data and update it from a file or database.
COBOL is a programming language.

Depending upon the site, you may write COBOL programs to display screens of DB2 data in CICS and update the database using the changes keyed on the screen. Or you may write COBOL batch programs using DB2 databases without using CICS. Or you may write COBOL batch programs using sequential and VSAM files without having any database at all. Asking which is better is like asking which leg of a tripod is better-- a site may require all three, or only use two or one of them, and some sites may not use any of the three.

A really good student might be able to learn these concepts from the Internet, but you'd be far, far, far better off paying the money to get formal education.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to Career Guidance