Nature of Work?

Nature of Work?

Postby gowthamgyaa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi everyone,
What would be nature of work by being a Mainframe Application Programmer?

Kind regard's
Gowtham
gowthamgyaa

Re: Nature of Work?

Postby NicC » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Reading manuals, programming, testing, debugging, fixing, amending, upgrading, correcting the analyst's specifications, documenting, asking lots of questions of your team members, asking lots of questions of people in other areas of the organisation............
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic

These users thanked the author NicC for the post:
gowthamgyaa (Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:04 am)
NicC
Global moderator

Postby gowthamgyaa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:03 am

Hello nic,
Mainframes are being widely used in Banking Industry , Finance Industry , IT Industry al , so Which would be the best industry for being working as a Mainframe application programmer?
How the work varies with different Industry?
U told about reading manual's, programming , testing al , for what You programming , testing ?
For ex: In case of IT Industry clients from abroad is in need of some solution , so they gave those projects to the companies in India and here they code with Programming languages suitable for that project , testing , asking que etc., as u told.
So if i learn a Mainframe Program's in what way i can use it ?

Kind regard's
Gyaa
gowthamgyaa

Postby NicC » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:21 pm

There is no way to say which is the better industry sector to be in - one person might be completely happy but his work colleague may be totally unhappy.

Really I do not understand what your last question is about. You learn a language - or more than one and you use it as required. COBOL in a cobol application PL/1 in a PL/1 application etc. And what you do as a programmer - no matter which language, I have alreeady told you.

How about stop wondering and actually going out and knocking on doors with your CV - agents and employers.

To answer your question about CV, seing as how I have mentioned CV here, as you have no practical experience in the industry mention your education, training, qualifications, what sort of work you would like to try, what your hobbies are -one-liners are best for this as it gives the interviewer something to chat about and find out about you as a person - they know you do not have the work experience so they will be trying to see if you fit in with the team and company ethos.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby gowthamgyaa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Thank's 4 ur valuable reply nicc
gowthamgyaa

Return to Career Guidance