Triggering CICS transaction from Batch Job

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

Triggering CICS transaction from Batch Job

Postby gauravnnl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a requirement where in I have to trigger a CICS transaction from JCL. Any idea or sample JCL , how this can be done?

Actually this CICS transaction should be run daily at midnight. I was thinking to trigger it via JCL and then I can schedule this JCL by CA-7 to run at specific time.

Would appreciate your quick help. Thanks.

Regards,
Gaurav
gauravnnl

Re: Triggering CICS transaction from Batch Job

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:21 pm

CICS has the EXCI interface defined to support precisely this requirement. Check the bookshelf for your version of CICS and start reading.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby gauravnnl » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:23 am

Thanks for the response.

I was trying the same but got some autority/installation issue which I failed to rectify.
********************************* TOP OF DATA **********************************
EXCI-RC:00000008                                                               
EXCI-DPL-RC:00000000                                                           
CEE3250C The system or user abend U 048 R=NULL     was issued.                 
         From compile unit DG122AA at entry point DG122AA at compile unit offset +00000DF6 at entry offset +00000DF6
         at address 00008006.                                                   
******************************** BOTTOM OF DATA ********************************

Explanation of EXCI-RC:00000008 :- 8 RETRYABLE The EXCI CALL command failed. This class of failure relates to errors in the setup of the system environment, and not errors in the external CICS interface or client program. The reason code documents the specific error in the environment setup.

1) Is there any other way by JCL directly or by any CICS command which i can pass via sysin or parm in JCL?
2) I have heard sometime before about memoposting concept in which the particular transaction can be triggered via JCL but not not able to recall what exactly it was. If anyone can put some more light on this.

Regards,
Gaurav
gauravnnl

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:29 pm

I assume that your RC 8 came on the Initialize_User call -- did you analyze the reason code to determine where the issue is? I've implemented EXCI before just to verify it worked before an application programmer started using it, and I do know you have to be very careful to properly specify the various parameters for the EXCI interface to work. Of course, that is true no matter which interface is used.

If you read the CICS bookshelf, you will find that there are multiple interfaces that can be used between batch and CICS -- but none of them are simple; they all require some degree of set up to work. Since your site could have hundreds of CICS regions, the set up (such as which CICS region to use) is NOT optional. You will not find any cookbook method of "do this, then do this, then do this" here or any forum -- you have to plan, implement the interface, think about the results you're getting to modify the parameters to achieve your desired results.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to CICS