Test called program without the calling program

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

Test called program without the calling program

Postby bryan_lab » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:12 am

Hi,

I'm quite new to CICS programming.

I have this Program B that is being linked by Program A. I wanted to test it but the problem is Program A will come from a different application and they haven't started it.
So instead of just waiting for them to finish it (We have no idea when will they start), I decided to test my program. But I don't know how to do it. I mean I cannot create a dummy CICS program that will just pass data to my Program B because I need to define the tran-id. Our system programmer will not define it just for the sake of my testing.

Is there any other way for me to pass data to Program B just to test it? I know that tran-id and the program are both tied together. If I create a new CICS program just to pass data, is there a way to execute it without defining a tran-id?

By the way, my Program B have CICS commands that updates VSAM files.

I have already google my question but it seems that all of them points to XCTL, LINK, etc.

Thanks.
Bryan
bryan_lab

Re: Test called program without the calling program

Postby Aki88 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:26 pm

Hello Bryan,

bryan_lab wrote:Hi,
.... create a dummy CICS program that will just pass data to my Program B because I need to define the tran-id. ......

Is there any other way for me to pass data to Program B just to test it? I know that tran-id and the program are both tied together. If I create a new CICS program just to pass data, is there a way to execute it without defining a tran-id? .........

A quick solution can be, writing a batch COBOL program with: CBL XOPTS(EXCI)
This program will build the required LINKAGE/COMMAREA variables, and perform the requisite pre-processing required for the 'B' program.
Post which, you can do an EXEC CICS LINK PROGRAM from your batch COBOL, to link to CICS region, passing the data via the linkage and COMMAREA.

Please note, prior to doing this, would request you to check the access privileges, take backup of VSAM files that are being updated by CICS program, and inform sys-progs to be around, so that they can purge the started task in CICS - in case of abnormal behaviour.

Hth.

These users thanked the author Aki88 for the post:
bryan_lab (Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:33 pm)
Aki88

Re: Test called program without the calling program

Postby bryan_lab » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks a lot Aki88. Will try your suggestion.
bryan_lab

Return to CICS