A query regarding CICS

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

A query regarding CICS

Postby shabi » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:29 am

Hi There!

I`d like to know the difference between a Task and a Transaction in CICS.
shabi

Re: A query regarding CICS

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:51 am

Hello,

As Robert explained in one of your other topics, we do not have the resources to teach you.

You need to do research and when you find something that is not clear, post what you found and your doubt. Someone will be able to clarify.

Suggest you do not use odds and ends that have been put on some website, but rather material that has been published by experts (i.e. IBM manuals and Redbooks and books from Murach Publishing are a few).
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby shabi » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:45 pm

I didn`t get u`re point.

what type of questions should we post in this forum ?
shabi

Postby Robert Sample » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Two or three of these basic questions, we will deal with. But after that, you'll need to find actual reference materials to answer such questions until you've learned enough to ask processing questions (I'm trying to do X, here's my code to do it, but I'm getting error Y so what's wrong with my code) instead of learning questions.

A transaction is a one-to-four character identifier that CICS uses to start a program. The transaction is tied to a program when defined to CICS and when you enter the transaction name into CICS, the associated program gets executed.

CICS associates a task number to each executing program, whether started by a transaction or one of the other ways a program can start in CICS. So a task may be -- but does not have to be -- an invocation of a transaction, while a transaction is just a code with a program associated with it.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby shabi » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:57 pm

Thank U sir
shabi

Return to CICS