TSO Submit fails in REXX

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Re: TSO Submit fails in REXX

Postby arshadhrashid » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:18 am

Thanks Robert,
This is not my attitude I was just stating the fact that this job card works fine if submitted directly,
I will look more into job card validity issue and will get back to the forum
Thanks
arshadhrashid

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:24 am

the fact that this job card works fine if submitted directly,
Who cares? You are not submitting it directly and the system is telling you something is wrong when you submit it differently. Rather than thinking about the case where the job card is fine, you need to consider what is different when the system tells you the job card fails -- because the system (almost) never lies to you, and if the job card is not being accepted, it's because something is wrong with it. You might have 27 other ways that the job card is okay when submitted, but if you want to use the one way the system objects to, then you have to address the issue and ignore the other 27 successes.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:08 am

I looked up the description of the IKJEFF10 exit routine at this link. If you read the link carefully, you will find there are subtle differences between the data sent to IKJEFF10 when the SUBMIT command is run in batch as opposed to online. This can clearly cause the exit to determine accounting information is invalid when the SUBMIT command is called in batch. It may also validate arshadhrashid's claim that what he is submitting is identical in both environments.

The solution to arshadhrashid's problem is to not use SUBMIT, rather to use some other method to submit the job. For example, arshadhrashid can allocate the DD statements to run IEBGENER to submit the job. The ALLOCATE command for SYSUT2 would be

ALLOCATE FILE(SYSUT2) SYSOUT(A) WRITER(INTRDR) REUSE RECFM(F) LRECL(80) BLKSIZE(80)

The other DD statements are regular ALLOCATE statements that arshadhrashid should be able to handle on his own.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby arshadhrashid » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:01 am

I am working with IBM to resolve this and will post the results - Thanks
arshadhrashid

Postby Pedro » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:14 pm

So far, I have not seen the job cards that are produced. Please show us both the working job card and the failing job card.

It is not clear what 'submitted directly' means. Please elaborate.

I suggest the following tests:
1. elminate rexx logic:
a. build file with your jobcard and IEFBR14 step, for example named: 'AR62199.TEST.JCL'
b. build rexx program, for example, named 'AR62199.TEST.EXEC(test1)' :
/*rexx*/
Address TSO "SUBMIT 'AR62199.TEST.JCL' "

c. from ISPF option 6: EXEC 'AR62199.TEST.EXEC(test1)'
c. from TSO READY, EXEC 'AR62199.TEST.EXEC(test1)'

2. test environment:
a. from ispf option 6, SUBMIT 'AR62199.TEST.JCL'
b. from TSO READY, SUBMIT 'AR62199.TEST.JCL'

Does the exec use any ISPF services or dialog variables? Please check the return codes. It likely will not work correctly outside of ISPF.

The examples seem to show/say that being submitted from TSO READY fails and from ISPF option 6, it works. You should look for IKJEFF10 somewhere in your ISPLOAD or ISPLLIB concatenation.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Previous

Return to CLIST & REXX