Authorities of user on db2 v9 database

IBM's flagship relational database management system

Authorities of user on db2 v9 database

Postby arshadhrashid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:43 am

Hi There,
I would appreciate if some one can tell the following:
I have a RACF user who doesn't have TSO logon privileges. But its used to query main fame data from a client using JDBC.
How can I find out the authorities and privileges that authority has at db2 level. I want to know what objects can be accessed by it.
Thanks
arshadhrashid

Re: Authorities of user on db2 v9 database

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:54 am

Hello,

You should talk with your security admins. They know how to find this info.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby arshadhrashid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi there,
Every one has this option of talking to folks on site. But when people post their question in this forum then that would mean they could not find the answer locally.
So if you can guide someone that's what is expected of this forum, otherwise the answer you provided is always known.
Thanks
arshadhrashid

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Hello,

But when people post their question in this forum then that would mean they could not find the answer locally.

Yes my answer IS always known and yet we have an incredible number of users who will not talk with their local support. . .

And the best (maybe the only) answer is in your organization. Several of us "seniors" believe it is inappropriate to provide these kinds of answers in an open forum.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:42 pm

furthermore people lurking into authorizations/authorities are not appreciated by security support and audit.
it could be cause for lawful termination, so asking the people who know/CAN is the safest way to proceed.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby arshadhrashid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks for the insight.
Unfortunately I am the one who is going to assign the authorities. RACF admin creates the user and I am supposed to assign db level access.
I have an existing user that can be mimicked to create the new user but I don't know how to find out what was granted to this existing user hence I asked the question.
Besides, knowing the SQL which will query the database and will tell you what authorities are granted to an object is not something that is a secret.
Thanks.
arshadhrashid

Postby Akatsukami » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:33 pm

arshadhrashid wrote:Every one has this option of talking to folks on site. But when people post their question in this forum then that would mean they could not find the answer locally.

Consider what that says about your support workgroups: "I asked the people on site who are responsible for handling this problem, but they were too (unskilled, arrogant, etc.) to answer me".
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby arshadhrashid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Mr. Akatsukami
I am not sure where are you coming from.
I never wrote what you have quoted.
"Consider what that says about your support workgroups: "I asked the people on site who are responsible for handling this problem, but they were too (unskilled, arrogant, etc.) to answer me"."

If you don't have the answer please refrain from making such improfessional comments.
Thanks
arshadhrashid

Postby Akatsukami » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:00 pm

So why didn't they answer?
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby arshadhrashid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:08 pm

I guess I made it clear
They are RACF admin and the authorities I am looking for are defined at db2 level so they could not answer. Now I am the one who is supposed to answer the question of how to find authorities granted to a similar user so that this new user can be grated the same. and I was asking for help to find the answer. Isn't it what this forum is meant for?
arshadhrashid

Next

Return to DB2