ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement



IBM's flagship sort product DFSORT for sorting, merging, copying, data manipulation and reporting. Includes ICETOOL and ICEGENER

ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement

Postby Gallium » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:23 am

On page 150 of this

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/ice1cg60.pdf

Can anyone explain to me what ON(1,15,CH)ON...

means. I know CH, PD and ZD are data types but I am a little unclear as to the rest?
Gallium
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement

 

Re: ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement

Postby Terry Heinze » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:53 am

Page 151 seems to explain the ON operand. What have you tried so far and what were the results?
.... Terry
Terry Heinze
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:08 pm
Location: Richfield, MN, USA
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement

Postby Gallium » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:37 am

Not fully though, it mentions p,m,f, formatting, VLEN and NUM but doesn't explain what they actually mean. If I knew what they meant I could try something.
Gallium
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:03 am

The ON statements in DISPLAY are defining the fields you want listed in the report.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:02 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 264 times

Re: ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement

Postby Gallium » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:32 am

BillyBoyo wrote:The ON statements in DISPLAY are defining the fields you want listed in the report.


so ON(1,15) means fields 1 and 15 in the original data set?
Gallium
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:05 pm

No, SORT/ICETOOL does not know about any fields unless you define them. In DISPLAY, ON is how you define them.

it means the first field which will be printed is at position one in the input file and has a length of 15. ON(1,15) is invalid for DISPLAY. The field-type is mandatory. In the example, it is ON(1,15,CH) which means character data.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:02 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 264 times

Re: ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement

Postby Gallium » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:24 pm

BillyBoyo wrote:No, SORT/ICETOOL does not know about any fields unless you define them. In DISPLAY, ON is how you define them.

it means the first field which will be printed is at position one in the input file and has a length of 15. ON(1,15) is invalid for DISPLAY. The field-type is mandatory. In the example, it is ON(1,15,CH) which means character data.


That's great thanks, makes you wonder why they couldn't just say that! I know you need CH etc. but I knew what they meant before. Although is there a URL that someone could point me to that?
Gallium
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement

Postby Gallium » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Gallium wrote:
BillyBoyo wrote:No, SORT/ICETOOL does not know about any fields unless you define them. In DISPLAY, ON is how you define them.

it means the first field which will be printed is at position one in the input file and has a length of 15. ON(1,15) is invalid for DISPLAY. The field-type is mandatory. In the example, it is ON(1,15,CH) which means character data.


That's great thanks, makes you wonder why they couldn't just say that! I know you need CH etc. but I knew what they meant before. Although is there a URL that someone could point me to that?


that lists all the possible data types CH, ZD, PD etc.
Gallium
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: ON in ICETOOL's DISPLAY statement

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:47 pm

The Getting Started is a tutorial to get people going on using some of the power of SORT/ICETOOL.

ON(p,m,f)
Specifies the position, length, and format of a numeric or character field to be
used for this operation.


That's from the DFSORT Application Programming Guide. The PDFs I have are 224 pages vs 970 pages.

If you look at the "stickies" at the top of the DFSORT forum you'll find links to all the DFSORT publications.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:02 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 264 times


Return to DFSORT/ICETOOL/ICEGENER

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post