Thanks for the hope that it can be done.
1. what is the LRECL and RECFM of Dataset 0 file? This actually is a generated Dataset (a SUBSET of the current policy file). It can be generated as (LRECL=3996, RECFM=VB) and then use another utility to extract just the policy numbers (LRECL=10, RECFM=FB). We could use which ever would prove handy for the solution.Note: since this is a subset of the current policy file, its our choice to include the first record ( Date record ) or exclude.
2. What is the format and position of the policy number in this file?The policy number is at position 3. ( but including the offset for Record Length of Variable block 4 bytes ) it would be 7. It is stored as PIC X(10).
3. Are all the 250 search datasets VB RECFM?
Yes all the 250 datasets are VB. Infact they are the month end backup/archived datasets. So they are all of the same format.
4. Do all of them have the policy number at the same position?Yes they have the policy number at the same position.
5. Does the first record on all these files start with M? can there be any record with M in the 5th byte ?Actually the date record starts with B ( thats the first record of all the files ), and no other record starts with B.
6. What is the LRECL of these files?It is 3996.
7. What is the lrecl and recfm of the OUTPUT file? FB or VB?(LRECL=3996, RECFM=VB)
Here is the output of the JCL
1ICE143I 0 BLOCKSET COPY TECHNIQUE SELECTED
ICE250I 0 VISIT http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
FOR DFSORT PAPERS, EXAMPLES AND MORE
ICE000I 1 - CONTROL STATEMENTS FOR 5694-A01, Z/OS DFSORT V1R10 - 05:41 ON FRI OCT 23, 2009 -
0 SORT FIELDS=COPY 00027000
ICE201I F RECORD TYPE IS F - DATA STARTS IN POSITION 1
ICE751I 0 C5-K90014 C6-K90014 C7-BASE C8-K42136 E9-K40168 C9-BASE E5-K38900 E7-BASE
ICE193I 0 ICEAM1 INVOCATION ENVIRONMENT IN EFFECT - ICEAM1 ENVIRONMENT SELECTED
ICE088I 0 BEBTILAA.STEP0100. , INPUT LRECL = 80, BLKSIZE = 80, TYPE = FB
ICE093I 0 MAIN STORAGE = (MAX,20971520,20958302)
ICE156I 0 MAIN STORAGE ABOVE 16MB = (20841438,20841438)
ICE127I 0 OPTIONS: OVFLO=RC0 ,PAD=RC0 ,TRUNC=RC0 ,SPANINC=RC16,VLSCMP=N,SZERO=Y,RESET=Y,VSAMEMT=Y,DYNSPC=256
ICE128I 0 OPTIONS: SIZE=20971520,MAXLIM=6291456,MINLIM=450560,EQUALS=N,LIST=Y,ERET=ABEND,MSGDDN=SYSOUT
ICE129I 0 OPTIONS: VIO=N,RESDNT=NONE,SMF=NO ,WRKSEC=Y,OUTSEC=Y,VERIFY=N,CHALT=N,DYNALOC=N ,ABCODE=016
ICE130I 0 OPTIONS: RESALL=4096,RESINV=0,SVC=109 ,CHECK=Y,WRKREL=Y,OUTREL=Y,CKPT=N,COBEXIT=COB2
ICE131I 0 OPTIONS: TMAXLIM=20971520,ARESALL=0,ARESINV=0,OVERRGN=65536,CINV=Y,CFW=Y,DSA=0
ICE132I 0 OPTIONS: VLSHRT=N,ZDPRINT=N,IEXIT=N,TEXIT=N,LISTX=N,EFS=NONE ,EXITCK=W,PARMDDN=DFSPARM ,FSZEST=N
ICE133I 0 OPTIONS: HIPRMAX=0 ,DSPSIZE=MAX ,ODMAXBF=0,SOLRF=Y,VLLONG=N,VSAMIO=N,MOSIZE=MAX
ICE235I 0 OPTIONS: NULLOUT=RC0
ICE084I 0 BSAM ACCESS METHOD USED FOR SORTOUT
ICE084I 0 BSAM ACCESS METHOD USED FOR SORTIN
ICE751I 1 EF-BASE F0-BASE E8-K38900
ICE090I 0 OUTPUT LRECL = 80, BLKSIZE = 80, TYPE = FB
ICE055I 0 INSERT 0, DELETE 0
ICE054I 0 RECORDS - IN: 1, OUT: 1
ICE052I 0 END OF DFSORT