Merging matching records from two files

IBM's flagship sort product DFSORT for sorting, merging, copying, data manipulation and reporting. Includes ICETOOL and ICEGENER

Re: Merging matching records from two files

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:07 am

Write to output file [...] in the order shown below.

If you can confirm that the above is no longer a requirement (this is from your first post in this topic) I'm sure when the DFSORT guys look at it there will be a neater way without having to regenerate the /ADD. However, the actual solution will depend on the above.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Frank Yaeger » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:52 am

zinghur,

I'm back from vacation tomorrow. I just had to go through 4 pages of posts on this topic! But when I look at your FIRST POST, the positions of the keys and data you specify in file2 DO NOT MATCH YOUR EXAMPLE. You say the second key starts at position 24, but it appears to start in position 18. You say you want the data starting at position 23 to end, but that doesn't seem to match what you show for output which appears to start at position 21.

If you want my help, please start a NEW topic and show your input and output records using ubb code tags. Give all of the necessary information. Do NOT try to bold anything. Just concentrate on getting the example records and descriptions of the positions right so I can see what you really want to do. If you want to send me the examples as plain text (.txt) files offline, that's fine (yaeger@us.ibm.com).
Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yaeger@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
Frank Yaeger
Global moderator

Postby zhinghur » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 pm

I spend another two hours and was able to tweak the above JCL and embedd another 3 steps along with these two steps in just 1 step. It was worth spending time with you.

I really want to thank you, everyone for so kind and helpping unbiasedly. Really thank you.
zhinghur

Postby zhinghur » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Thank you Frank. But I was able to reach the final solution.

Nice observation, I agree the key again differed, but the later post were from my 2nd or 3rd step. Each step has little variation. And as I was punching huge members in PDS sideways based on certain condition. Hence, my key varied, which looked incorrect, even though it was correct.
zhinghur

Previous

Return to DFSORT/ICETOOL/ICEGENER