Can Esaytrieve 1) able to sleep 2) avoid VSAM error 168

Unicenter CA-Easytrieve Plus Report Generator: CA's information retrieval and data management tool

Can Esaytrieve 1) able to sleep 2) avoid VSAM error 168

Postby ocjohnh » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi Folks,

actually I have two questions.

1) In the Easytrieve pgm, Can I tell the pgm to "sleep" for a while and then wake up again to resume the process ?

2) If I have two Easytrieve pgm batch job run concurrently to delete separate records in the same VSAM KSDS,
Can I code something in the pgm to avoid the VSAM file open error 168 ? I prefer not to use disp=old for workaround
ocjohnh

Re: Can Esaytrieve 1) able to sleep 2) avoid VSAM error 168

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:45 pm

No, Easytrieve Plus can't go to sleep. It is not usually a good idea for batch jobs to do so. Why would you want to do that?

And No. Or you can, but results will be unpredictable unless you have a mechanism to do what Robert suggested.

I think if each user writes to a dataset. then you concatenate the datasets into one Step, you'll only need one Step at a time to do the updates/
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Re: Can Esaytrieve 1) able to sleep 2) avoid VSAM error 168

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Hello,

In the Easytrieve pgm, Can I tell the pgm to "sleep" for a while and then wake up
NO.

This should be handled by the schedule or by using Console Automation. There is no good reason for you to tie-up system resources like this.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to CA-Easytrieve