Input stream for online (not batch) PL/I procedure

IBM's cross-platform compiler PL/I for MVS, VM & VSE, OS/390 and Enterprise PL/I for z/OS

Re: Input stream for online (not batch) PL/I procedure

Postby daloporhecho » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:54 am

IMS DC
daloporhecho

Postby daloporhecho » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:47 am

Does anybody think *regions* is a possible answer to my question?
daloporhecho

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:33 am

Hello,

Well, almost anything is possible. . . Is this "regions" as ambiguous as the earlier "online". . . What region(s) are you asking about?

Suggest most of the problem is site-specific and whoever supports IMS on the system will have the necessary info to resolve what is happening (or failing).
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:48 am

What do you mean by 'regions'. There is no such word in PL/1 according to the Language Reference index.

It is not a restriction of PL/1 that says you cannoot do I/O but a rstriction imposed by the online system e.g. CICS and IMS. This is so that they can keep the integrity of your data in an abend situation
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby daloporhecho » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:24 pm

You guys don't know what "regions" are in IMS context, neither what "online" mean (in contrast to "batch")?
Then I wonder if I'm in the right forum. Is this a kind of joke forum where you are misled just for fun?
daloporhecho

Postby daloporhecho » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:17 pm

This is from wikipedia: "...Batch jobs are set up so they can be run to completion without manual intervention, so all input data is preselected through scripts or command-line parameters. This is in contrast to "online" or interactive programs which prompt the user for such input..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batch_processing
That ambiguous was my usage of the term "online".

And this: "2.1 Structure of IMS subsystems
This section describes the various types of OS/390 address spaces and their
relationship with each other. The core of an IMS subsystem is the control region,
running in one OS/390 address space. This will have a number of dependent
address spaces running in other regions that provide additional services to the
control region, or in which the IMS application programs run.
In addition to the control region, some applications and utilities used with IMS run
in separate batch address spaces. These are separate to an IMS subsystem and
its control region, and have no connection with it.
For historical reasons, some documents describing IMS use the term region to
describe an OS/390 address space, for example, IMS Control Region. In this
book we have used the term region wherever this is in common usage. You can
take the term region as being the same as an OS/390 address space."
is a citation from the book IMS Primer, available for download at:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbook/pdfs/sg245352.pdf

But I didn't come here to clear things up for you guys, but exactly the opposite, because I know almost nothing about PL/I and IMS and was needing help.
daloporhecho

Postby NicC » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Oh, we know about regions and there are a whole host of different regions for different purposes. You just said 'region' and as this is posted in the PL/1 section I double-checked the PL/1 Language Reference to make sure no REGION keyword had come into being with a new releae of PL/1.
Good-bye
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby daloporhecho » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:33 pm

You know about a *whole host of different regions* but first thing that comes to your mind is: "region? a new keyword must have come into being". Furthermore: you still have no answer to my question other than explaining the internal processes of your mind to me, which, of course, I'm not interested in at the moment. Goodbye, Nic.

Does anybody, please, know anything about the usage of output streams in ONLINE PL/I? We are in the second page already, going into the third I guess.
daloporhecho

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:51 am

Hello,

What you don't realize is that we are pointing out that while you believe you have posted everything needed - You have not.

Your choice of terms is quite limited because of your overall lack of a wide variety of experience.

For example - even the students participating here know that "online" would mean "not JCL". However, there are many, many kinds of Online environments - so you were asked which one.
Does anybody think *regions* is a possible answer to my question?
Then you reply with this. . . Obviously you had only 1 kind of region in mind. Many of us have to deal with all sorts of regions every day.

You guys don't know what "regions" are in IMS context, neither what "online" mean (in contrast to "batch")?
Actually, we are most likely more familiar with these "things" than you will be for years. . .
Then I wonder if I'm in the right forum. Is this a kind of joke forum where you are misled just for fun?
You may not be in the correct forum. . . We are here to help people learn. That does not appear to be your main focus. . . You appear to be more focused on stomping your foot when others will not "play the way you want".

Keep in mind you started this as a pl/i topic and only after multiple posts were made did you get around to mentioning IMS. Then you posted something about a DB2 SQL SEVERE ERROR. Still no hint of what you might mean by "online".

Suggest you make the investment in yourself to ensure the correct and proper terminology is used as well as learning the technical aspects. . . Consider that if you had posted clearly and completely in the beginning, most of this topic would not be here. . . :(
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby daloporhecho » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:45 am

Isn't PLITDLI a kind of interface between PL/I and IMS? Because I mentioned it in my first message.
Does it matter what particular region we are talking about? Because I just want to know whether is possible for a PL/I program to access I/O devices while running online, being online "...programs which prompt the user for input".
I'm not concerned about the particular region as long as it can happen in any region you may know of.
If I knew the correct and proper terminology I'd probably know the details behind, and consequently I wouldn't need to come to disturb you guys with my questions.
I never refused to answer questions, so I don't know what made you think I want anyone to "play the way I want". I only got frustrated when you came up with things like "what is online?", "what is a region?". Wouldn't you?
daloporhecho

PreviousNext

Return to PL/I