regarding ca-7

Unicenter CA-7 Job Management: CA's workload automation tool for managing, visualizing, automating, optimizing applications

regarding ca-7

Postby kbhaskark » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:02 pm

hi
actually i want to know ,what kind of abends faced generally while monitoring the jobs using ca-7 scheduler.and can explain about console monitoring?
kbhaskark

Re: regarding ca-7

Postby Robert Sample » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:18 pm

The kinds of abends will totally depend upon the site and how good its programmers are. A site with poor programmers will see many S0C7 abends -- one with good programmers will never see a S0C7 abend. There may be some S0C1 and S0C4 abends along with SB37, SD37, SE37 abends. If you want to know more, read the MVS System Codes manual for a list of all the possible abend codes. Beside the possible abends, sites doing a lot of FTP jobs can have non-zero return codes such as 0166 due to problems with the FTP process -- these are not abends but they indicate the job did not completely do what it should have done.

And, more to the point, WHY do you want to know this? The usual procedure is for the programmer to submit a job stream to the site CA-7 person, who sets it up in CA-7 and includes prose to indicate what to do in the event the job does not run "normally' (whatever "normally" means in that context -- some jobs have to have a zero return code, some can have a non-zero return code but still have done what they were supposed to). The operations staff monitors the CA-7 queue and calls the appropriate on-call person based on the prose whenever a job does not complete normally. There's not any reason for the operational staff to be concerned about what possible abends could occur.

What do you mean by "console monitoring" -- are you talking about monitoring of the CA-7 job statuses or actually monitoring the messages that appear on the system console -- a totally different procedure?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby kbhaskark » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:01 pm

hi
i am searching for ajob in ca-7 environment.i attend the couple of interviews,they asked me this kind of questions.i answered lots of questions,but they asked what kind of job failures u have faced?and wt abt console monitoring?if u have any documens please forward me.
kbhaskark

Postby NicC » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:53 am

As this was an interview question then there is a section of the forum dedicated to those and you should have posted there.
If you are looking for CA-7 documentation then you need to be a registered user and you could obtain it from CA themselves (I am assuming that you are either not in employment or your current place of work does not use CA-7). Official product documentation is copyrighted and cannot be shared. Did you try Google for other documents that might be out there?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Malu » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Console monitoring and CA7 monitoring are two different kinds of works.
Console monitoring are done by Operations team.If you were interviewed for both monitoing in ca7 and console for the same project, it could be that you wuld actually be working n one of them ,howevere the other would be an added advantage.
Malu

Return to CA-7