ECI issue with XCTLs

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

ECI issue with XCTLs

Postby Kcobol » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:49 am

I have an issue related to the DFHCOMMAREA programming practices. I am trying to see if I can provide an ECI call to an existing COBOL application.
Under the plan, the initial Cobol Program say P1 has incoming data passed to it via DFHCOMMAREA (C1). P1 then XCTls to the main application passing the same DFHCOMMAREA data. The processing then goes thru multiple programs mainly passing copies of Working Storage of the original DFHCOMMAREA. Also, the application processing involves multiple XCTLs. For the plan to work, the last program in the processing logic (say P2) needs to update the initial Commarea (C1) but at this point it has no access to it (due to WS copies and XCTLs). Is there a way for P2 to be able to update C1 using pointers, Queues or any other means? Is there a way to write a Queue with the value of the pointer to C1 and be able to read the Queue in P2 and update the area pointed to by C1. I have not worked with pointers and so am not sure if it is possible.
There are many limitations to the core application and so it cannot be changed. Whatever changes I make have to be on the new interface modules (P1/P2).
Please let me know if you need information.

Re: ECI issue with XCTLs

Return to IBM Cobol