To Mr. Spock, I am not sure but when I coded and ran it without the "IS EXTERNAL" in the FD's of both programs, the primary program gave me a file status of 39 when I tried to open it.
I added "IS EXTERNAL" in both the dynamic allocation subroutine and the main program that writes to the dynamically allocated file making sure that the FDs had the same number of bytes in the 01 record. This worked for me no problem.
Three people told my Bureau Chief that we could not create files on the fly like this so he didn't believe me (a blonde chick) when I said that I knew we could. Now, I have a working prototype and can move forward with my proposal.
Thanks to all who post here as it is an invaluable resource for me.
Wherever you go, there you are - Buckaroo Banzai