An issue of Cobol:Can we Display sth without OAH ?

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

An issue of Cobol:Can we Display sth without OAH ?

Postby Trenfen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Can we Display sth without OAH ?

For Example:

First , Display the char 'A ',
Second , Display the char 'B'

The screen will show 'AB'
Not A
B
Trenfen

Re: An issue of Cobol:Can we Display sth without OAH ?

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Personally, I don't know what "sth" or "OAH" mean -- could you explain, please?

Find a COBOL Language Reference manual and research the WITH NO ADVANCING option of the DISPLAY statement.

These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
SaikatPaul (Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:08 pm)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Trenfen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Robert Sample wrote:Personally, I don't know what "sth" or "OAH" mean -- could you explain, please?

Find a COBOL Language Reference manual and research the WITH NO ADVANCING option of the DISPLAY statement.

Sth is something could be char or numeral , OAH is mean begin with a newline.

Thanks for your reply.
Trenfen

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:10 pm

In COBOL terms, then, sth is an alphanumeric variable while OAH does not exist in COBOL since there is no such thing as a "newline" -- in fact, if you search the COBOL Language Reference manual, there are no occurrences of the term "newline" at all.

Do yourself a big favor and learn to use the COBOL terms -- otherwise you will not be understood by COBOL programmers, and you will be showing incredible disrespect for the more than 50 years of COBOL development of terminology. For example, COBOL does not have strings -- COBOL has variables. These variables can be numeric (in at least 4 different types as well as different lengths), alphabetic, national, or alphanumeric but they are never, ever "strings".
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Trenfen » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:35 am

Robert Sample wrote:In COBOL terms, then, sth is an alphanumeric variable while OAH does not exist in COBOL since there is no such thing as a "newline" -- in fact, if you search the COBOL Language Reference manual, there are no occurrences of the term "newline" at all.

Do yourself a big favor and learn to use the COBOL terms -- otherwise you will not be understood by COBOL programmers, and you will be showing incredible disrespect for the more than 50 years of COBOL development of terminology. For example, COBOL does not have strings -- COBOL has variables. These variables can be numeric (in at least 4 different types as well as different lengths), alphabetic, national, or alphanumeric but they are never, ever "strings".

OK ,Thanks for your help .
I am a new guy. so I don't know about COBOL as well as enought ,but I would learn to use the COBOL terms, and use them next time.
Trenfen

Return to IBM Cobol