Hi mohd dalib,
to my understanding from your postings,
firstly i take a variable
string1 pic x(10) value '0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'.
and second variable
temp1 pic x.
now variable temp contains any value that is between '0---9a--------z' that is in variable string1.
now i want to increment the value of variable temp1 just one.
1. you have a string of characters '0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz' in a variable STRING-1 [it should be 10+26= 36 chars long, so use pic x(36)]
2. You have another variable TEMP-1 [pic x(1)] which has a character that needs to be searched in STRING-1
3. using Search criteria, you want to find the existing position of character in TEMP-1 in STRING-1 and get the next character in sequence into TEMP-1
4. use this for futher manipulations
Hope this is what you are expecting.
if my understand about your requirement is correct, as suggested by Dick, use the following pseudocode
05 STRING-1 PIC X(36).
05 STRING-2 REDEFINES STRING-1 PIC X(1) OCCURS 36 TIMES INDEXED BY INDX1.
01 TEMP-1 PIC X(1) value 'a'.
the indentation 01 and 05 is not coming correctly in this editor so use appropriately
2. MOVE '0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz' TO STRING-1.
3. SEARCH STRING-2 using TEMP-1. The index will be placed at the location of the character found.
4. SET INDX1 UP BY 1 and MOVE STRING-2(INDX1) TO TEMP-1 to get the next character in the STRING-1
Hope this helps...
let me know if you need any other help..