Moving no value to Numeric

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Re: Moving no value to Numeric

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Hello,

Who came up with the "requirement" that the field neither have a value nor zero?

In the database world there is a concept about NULL (the absense of a value), but this is Not for data fields in a program. When the NULL concept is used in database, there is an additional "null indicator" that shows the presence or absence of a value. And there is not a "null value".
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Akatsukami » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:52 pm

pulsar22 wrote:It is variable of a SP return cursor. The applications calling this Sp do not reside on Mainframe.

If the calling application gets any value in this field (even zero), they call some other application passing this value, but since zero is not a valid value this call is an overhead on system. They want me to return this field as null.

Ask the toy programmers to define "null".
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Hello,

If the data returned to the apps is data delimited, they may be looking at a double delimiter as "nothing" . . . ?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Previous

Return to IBM Cobol