DL/I DATASET in IMS

IBM's hierarchical database management system with a Database Manager (IMS DB) and a Transaction Manager(IMS DC)

DL/I DATASET in IMS

Postby dilo82 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi,
I have four test environments( there are ims and dl/i database for each ) in my organization. Now i need to submit a jcl batch with dl/i step in a specific test environmnt defined by IMS. The problem is understand what is the dl/i database for each environment where i want to run the jcl: infact the dl/i database is on a Vsam file that i would process inside my jcl but i cannot understand what is the name of this vsam file for each environment. Does it exist a IMS command or Mainview utility i cannot use to retrieve the name of the vsam file where the dl/i database is stored? The only information I have is the name of DBD of the DL/I.

Thanks in advance.
dilo82

Re: DL/I DATASET in IMS

Postby Akatsukami » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:53 pm

There are certainly commands and utilities that you cannot use :P

Are the data bases online or batch (or both)? Are there existing batch jobs where you can look at the JCL or matrix to get the names? Most importantly and with the greatest utility, are there colleagues or senpai in your shop of whom you could ask this question?
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby dilo82 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:11 am

Sorry,i wrote message with mobile phone. The database are online and offline for batch.
This topic is for my problem but also my knowledge.
dilo82

Postby dilo82 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:34 pm

Nothing? Any Idea?
dilo82

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:50 pm

Nothing? Any Idea?

we reply on our own time and free of charge
based on interest of the topic, knowledge about it

if nobody replied, probably the topic is not interesting
or the question ( as in this case ) is badly posed

The problem is understand what is the dl/i database for each environment where i want to run the jcl

Your support should know everything about it
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby dilo82 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:06 pm

How IMS knows what physical VSAM datasets to access for IMS DB ?

DBD and PSB defined structure, but where is defined ( and how to) physical dataset for IMS DB.
dilo82

Postby Akatsukami » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:41 pm

The data sets, as I intimated above, can be specified in at least two ways: they can be specified in the JCL, as in any other job, or they can be specified in a matrix, a PDS(E) with RECFM=U, each member specifying a data set its associated secondary indexes (if any). The DD or member names will be the same as the LLQ.

How then to the determine the DSNs? Look at the JCL. If the DSNs are not explicitly given there, find the matrix and look at the individual members; although there will be be a good deal of non-printable data, the DSNs will be in EBCDIC.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby dilo82 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:17 am

Solved.I founded dataset name for ims db into path ims.reslib or Mainview function "Ims" -> "Ims online"-> "db and area "
dilo82

Return to IMS DB/DC