IMS hierarchical / relational views

IBM's hierarchical database management system with a Database Manager (IMS DB) and a Transaction Manager(IMS DC)

IMS hierarchical / relational views

Postby michelbf » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:22 am

Hello, everyone. I am new in this forum so on a quick note, I am a student from Brazil and my university currently closed a deal with IBM to provide training in IMS and I am writing an essay as a requirement for my bachelor's degree about IMS.

One thing I am having issues with is this... IBM mentioned, in the presentation we had here, that although IMS is hierarchical in nature, there is an interface or middleware that can actually convert the structure to relational and allow you to work on it and see the DB as though it was relational, and not hierarchical. This is to facilitate work for those who are not accustomed to working with hierarchical DBs.

The thing is... I was looking for the name of this product or interface or feature or whatever that makes this function and I can't seem to find it... It's maddening. Can anyone please help me identify what it is they were talking about?

Thanks in advance!
michelbf

Re: IMS hierarchical / relational views

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:10 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Suggest you e-mail the presenter from IBM and ask for some specifics.

There are multiple products that provide "SQL access" to IMS data. Here is a link to one of them:
http://www.iwaysoftware.com/products/adapters/ims.html
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Re: IMS hierarchical / relational views

Postby michelbf » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Yes, you are correct! We are in the process of establishing a communication channel with them.

Anyway, I think I am closer to what I was looking for... I found info on "IMS Universal JDBC driver" and I believe it allows you to send SQL queries via Java programming language to IMS and get a response!
michelbf

Return to IMS DB/DC