key feedback area after unsuccessful GU

IBM's hierarchical database management system with a Database Manager (IMS DB) and a Transaction Manager(IMS DC)

Re: key feedback area after unsuccessful GU

Postby NicC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:22 pm

I would say that it sets the KFB to whatever value of the successfully obtained segment or 0 if no segment was obtained - you do not want a KFB with values relating to a previous call, would you?

Of course IMS keeps track of where it is - how is it possibly going to efficienlty keep track of where it is for the next call?

Elementary programming - and IMS is "just" another program or series of programs.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Ed Goodman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:14 pm

The KFB can be changed for an unsuccessful call. You would see this if you are using more than one SSA.
For instance a root, first level child, and second level child. If the root and first level were found, but not the second level, the KFB would be set to the concatenated key of the root plus the first level segment. The length set to the length of those two keys.
Ed Goodman

Postby Ed Goodman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Since your GU has an EQ on a fully qualified key, IMS might, repeat MIGHT, be moving to the portion of the database where that key would show up according to the randomizer. I didn't see if you were using an HDAM or a HIDAM database.

Also, the KFB is NOT cleared before or after a call. That linkage area may still have old keys in it no matter what. That's why it's critical to check the KFB length.
Ed Goodman

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:39 pm

Hello,

If you do not ensure you got "something" and try to use it anyway, beware of the very old caution from IBM.

The results may be unpredictable.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Mike1304 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:09 pm

I still believe, that my last posting shows the truth!

But I want to add, that if I test the same constallation with DFSDDLT0, i get a KFB after a not successfull GU!
Mike1304

Postby Ed Goodman » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:36 pm

We believe you!

For the DFSDDLT0 KFB, what is the length? Can you post the results here?
Ed Goodman

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:16 am

Hello,

i get a KFB after a not successfull GU!
Are you sure you "get one" or is this just something unpredictable or left over from the prior request. . . ?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Mike1304 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:59 pm

sorry for the late answer, but I didn't expect any new answers...
here the output from DFSDDLT0 PRINTDD

********************************* TOP OF DATA *************************************************************************************
************************************************************************************************************************           

IMS   1210  TEST PROGRAM OUTPUT  ** BEGIN TEST ****TIME= 14.21.19.26 DATE= 11.241                                                   

STATUS INPUT: S 1 1 1 1 1   1BVDU                                                     00162003                                     
0002 OF 0005  PCB SELECTED = BVDU      DBD SELECTED = BVDU                                                                         
........................................................................................................................           
CALL=GU       SEG=DUSGROOT  FIELD=DUSCL     OPER==       VALUE=123456789012345678901234567890123456             00163003           
                                                               7901234567890123)                                                   

NO SEGMENT RETURNED.                                                                                                             

DBPCB   LEV=00  SEG=          RET CODE=GE  KFDB LEN=0043  KEY FDB=(1234567890123456789012345678901234567901234)                     

*******************OSAM SUBPOOL STATISTICS******************************************************************************           

B U F F E R   H A N D L E R  /  O S A M  S T A T I S T I C S               STG CLS=00  FIXOPT=N/N   POOLID:                 
Mike1304

Previous

Return to IMS DB/DC