Submit jcl from unix

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Submit jcl from unix

Postby GeorgeQ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:52 am

Hello everyone,

I have a jcl code stored in UNIX, how to submit the jcl from unix to executed on mainframe?

Thank you!
GeorgeQ

Re: Submit jcl from unix

Postby Robert Sample » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:27 am

Is the "jcl code stored in UNIX" (sic) on the mainframe or are you talking about a Unix server apart from the mainframe? If it is on the mainframe, have you looked in the Unix System Services Command Reference manual for your version of z/OS? If not, WHY NOT? This is a HELP forum, not a READ-THE-MANUAL-FOR-YOU forum. If you cannot show enough initiative to at least look in the manual before posting here, why on earth should we show the initiative to help you? Especially since you are having trouble clearly defining your problem in each post -- not specifying mainframe or another server in this thread, for example.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby GeorgeQ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:21 am

Thank you Robert,

The UNIX server is apart from Mainframe. I want to do this because we have data stored both in Unix server and Mainframe.
In our previous job we have jcl code in PC, we can submit the code in pc to Mainframe already-we use an application that can submit batch job to mainframe from windows. But I want move from PC to UNIX, so this is the reason for this question, I want to know is there similar application that I can submit batch job from Unix to Mainframe?

Thanks!
GeorgeQ

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:24 am

z/OS FTP has the ability to submit jobs directly into JES. There is some set up work required in TCP/IP to support this, so not all sites have it implemented. If it is available at your site, you could run FTP on your Unix server to the mainframe JES and your Unix file would go into the mainframe as a batch job.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby GeorgeQ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:33 am

Thank you Robert,
I found I can submit jcl from Unix to mainframe use ftp as you said. the key command in SAS program is:
filename JclJob ftp "'x'"
In this SAS code a ftp command was executed, it submit the "JclJob" code to mainframe. but there is one thing I am not understand. what the "'x'" meaning here?

Thanks!
GeorgeQ

Postby prino » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 am

Ever thought about reading a manual? Maybe it explains the extra parameter "x"?
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Return to JCL