JES2 Scheduling Parameter

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

JES2 Scheduling Parameter

Postby jaggz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:21 am

Hi,

Could anyone please guide me to schedule the Jobs running under JES2 environment. I am aware about the "maindeadline" parameter Under Jes3 environment, but I would like perform scheduling for the job running under Jes2. Please direct me to correct URL or Keywords that would be informational to proceed further.
jaggz

Re: JES2 Scheduling Parameter

Postby NicC » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:31 pm

OPCA/Tivoli CA-7
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 pm

JES runs jobs but is not really a scheduling package. As Nic said, you need a software package to do scheduling. JES3 //*MAIN DEADLINE has to do with job priority -- it does not guarantee the job will be completed (or even started) by the deadline. Furthermore, JES Dependent Job Control (DJC) networks are difficult to use (generally, if one job in the DJC network abends, the entire network must be flushed and resubmitted to keep the jobs going).
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Akatsukami » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:35 pm

Robert Sample wrote:Furthermore, JES Dependent Job Control (DJC) networks are difficult to use (generally, if one job in the DJC network abends, the entire network must be flushed and resubmitted to keep the jobs going).

Not true; it is only necessary to re-run the abending job (without it abending again, of course) and the network will automatically resume. We do quite a lot with DJC networks here; one of our tools generates and submits networks according to user needs, which may contain hundreds of jobs.

That said, I agree with NicC that if an actual scheduling system is an option, it ought to be taken.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:19 pm

There is a very limited JES2 scheduling facility, the "Mellon Bank" modifications, named after the shop that originated them back in the 1970s. Someone (not Mellon Bank, as far as I know) is maintaining them. The scheduling part consists of /*AFTER and /*BEFORE JECL (Job Entry Control Language) statements. Many shops have them, but not all.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby jaggz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks for the precise information.
jaggz

Return to JCL