Sort Utility in sequential data set

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Re: Sort Utility in sequential data set

Postby Liam_George » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:23 pm

I am a student, i dont have hundreds or thousands of jobs. I have wrote a jcl that will create a sequential file....

RUN1 EXEC NEWDS,MLQ=CW,LLQ=DATA1,
QTY=TRK,PRI=100,SEC=50,
TYPE=BASIC,
RECSIZE=80,FM='FB,DSORG=PS'

my next task is to sort some data (provided by my lecturer) and write the output the the PS created above (data1)

Thank You
Liam_George

Postby Blackthorn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:35 pm

To be honest, I'm guessing your lecturer is expecting you to work things out for yourself, not just ask for all the answers on a forum.

If you're going to be succesful in this line of work, you must learn to refer to the manuals. I've been in this industry for 20+ years and still look for something in a manual every single day.

Having said that, I appreciate if you're a beginner it can be difficult sometimes even knowing which manual to look in, never mind what to look for. In this case you need to track down the JCL reference guide and read up on the DISP parameter. You will find this in the chapter covering the DD statement, which is chapter 12 for z/OS v1.13.
Blackthorn

Postby NicC » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:29 pm

And the manual can be found by clicking on the IBM Manuals links at the top or bottom of the forum pages. But I would guess that you probably covered defining a PS file in one of your first lessons.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:48 am

Hello,

Do not be frustrated if hyou cannot find NEWDS in an IBM manual. I suspect this is something set up for the class to use to allocate a new dataset for their use. It should be described in your student material or you could ask the instructor.

What has the class been provided about how to sort data? I expect at least a lecture and possibly some samples that are similar but not exactly the solution. If it a learning exercise, not a copy/submit exercise.

Good Luck!
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Previous

Return to JCL