Record IPL

IBM OS/370, MVS, OS/390, Linux, TPF, VM/CMS, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, z/VM, z/VSE, z/OS, z/OS.e etc...

Record IPL

Postby tramuntana » Mon May 31, 2010 12:42 pm

We use z/OS in combination with IBM Personal Communications as 3270 emulator. After a change the system didn't IPL correctly. The messages on the console contained the reason but nobody was able to read it out because the scrolling was too fast. The console is connected via an OSA adapter. Now my question:

How do I record all messages written on the console screen in a desired period of time for later analysis?
tramuntana

Re: Record IPL

Postby dick scherrer » Mon May 31, 2010 12:58 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,

When the ipl was performed, there should have been a new SYSLOG dataset created. If there are multiple lpars, you might be able to read this from another lpar. It has been a very long time since i was directly involved with ipl - sorry 'bout that :oops:

After a change the system didn't IPL correctly.
Suggest you back out the change and correct what was changed incorrectly.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Mon May 31, 2010 7:16 pm

If it that serious an error, the HCD should have a record of the precise error. I don't remember exactly where to retrieve it, but I do remember finding and fixing IPL errors based on the errors shown there.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby tramuntana » Mon May 31, 2010 8:25 pm

SYSLOG would be possible if the error occured later during IPL.
The HCD displayed a disabled waitstate code that gave the correct hint - missing module in nucleus in the acutal case. But it doesn't give a hint which one is missing - that particular information had been displayed on the screen during the (very short) IPL.
On a Unix system the terminal emulation allow to redirect any output to a file for later analysis.
I hoped there would be a similar possibility with any 3270 emulation.

Thanks for the answers so far.
tramuntana

Postby Robert Sample » Mon May 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Many sites use software to archive the system logs for a certain period of time -- SAVRS, for example, does this. This is site dependent, though, and not all sites do it.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon May 31, 2010 11:11 pm

what about looking at the manual an follow the instruction for debugging the wait state
like for example in

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ ... T#FIRSTHIT
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to Operating Systems