Mainframe Emulator Macros

Discuss about all tools related to Mainframes but usable in a PC/Computer like Mainframe Simulators, Emulators, Abend Assist etc...

Mainframe Emulator Macros

Postby Ruchir » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi,

Had a requirement where client has decided to use Quick 3270 emulator instead of Rumba. Clients are currently using RUMBA terminal to access mainframes.The requirement says that all the Macros/Scripts which were running in Rumba emulator needs to be converted/ported to Quick 3270 emulator.

Is there anyway to do that ? Any automation possible ?

Thanks
Ruchir

Re: Mainframe Emulator Macros

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Best bet is to ask the vendor of Quick3270. They'll be happy to convince you that it can be done, and you can make it a part of the sales agreement if it gets that far.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Re: Mainframe Emulator Macros

Postby Ed Goodman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:48 pm

I seriously doubt it can be automated.

Have you had a look at the scripts? They may be straightforward and can be recreated manually in a few hours. I guess it's possible they are vastly overcomplicated though, and may need some real work.

I would suggest you get hold of ALL the scripts from the users. Then pull them up one at a time in Rumba so you can make a real estimate of the effort involved. Watch out for things that won't translate between the two scripting languages. Don't just say "this one has 10 lines, that one has 100 lines..." you have to ACTUALLY LOOK AT THE CODE!

Once you've done that, have the users sign something that says they have provided all of the scripts. This won't help you much, but it will relieve that pressure that happens when someone remembers that scripts from accounting that runs for three days at the end of each quarter. When they remember it, you get to renegotiate the release date because of the previous document. That will let you keep your head down and keep coding.
Ed Goodman

Return to Simulators & Emulators