Export Mainframe job details to Excel

Export Mainframe job details to Excel

Postby shalu31 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, hence I had no idea which part of the forum to post this in. Please move my post if I have posted in the wrong section.

Every day i check some job in mainframe and enter the job detail in Excel. Is there any way to export the job details to excel?
shalu31

Re: Export Mainframe job details to Excel

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:51 pm

not in one click
build a csv ( comma separated values ) dataset,
download it to Your workstation
import it into Your excel sheet!

if the details are system details You can use sdsf interfaced by REXX as described here
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247419.html

if the details are application details process the application output
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby shalu31 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks for ur reply. I am new to mainframe. so can you explain how to build a csv dataset which include batch job details and also how to import it to excel?
shalu31

Postby NicC » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Are you new to programming? If you are then you have a lot to learn to accomplish task.
Do you have SDSF? If not then you may not be able to do this task directly using Rexx although other spool facilities probably can export the data required to a dataset that can then be manipulated by Rexx to produce a csv dataset that can be downloaded to the PC.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:36 pm

shalu31 wrote:Every day i check some job in mainframe and enter the job detail in Excel. Is there any way to export the job details to excel?

Are you saying you look at one job, but have to do it every day? What data do you have to record? Are you accessing the mainframe through a Windows PC? If so, why not copy-and-paste?

If you do have lots of data to collect, are you using any sort of scheduler package? You'll probably find that there are reports from there that you might be able to use (like all the job information for all the jobs in just one report file). You might even find that someone else (amongst the techies) already has the information you need in a usable format (assuming you are talking about production jobs).

To write a program to extract a small amount of data from one programs job log each day is a bit of a sledgehammer. However, it can be good practice and give you insights into other solutions another time. However, if you just want to get on with it, I suggest you'll end up with cut-and-past or someone who already has the data.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby MrSpock » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:56 pm

Exactly what is was thinking. Cutting & Pasting will probably be the better solution without enough information about the infrastructure on our end to even speculate about other options.

<Moderator's Note>
I've already contacted the OP via PM about this topic, and have gone into some detail about why it's inappropriate (since it seems to deal more with Excel than anything else mainframe related) and seems to be stated more as a complex problem looking for us to provide the solution rather than a specific technical issue. This topic will be locked.

- Kevin
MrSpock
Global moderator

Return to Stupid Questions