interface driven processing tool ? REXX? COBOL ? JCL ? JAVA?

interface driven processing tool ? REXX? COBOL ? JCL ? JAVA?

Postby HASPBABY » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:18 am

First I would like to say Hi to all of you. I am 23 years old mainframe op and I would like to start a small project but I need your advice not on the coding, but on what software should I use. Here is my plan. To design a software that will get input from the user regarding which sets of jobs streams CA-7 should run ( number code ), to display the current "run number" ( which is increased by every run ) then Y/N, yes continue, N increase it then continue with setting up a parameter card in a PDS on another LPAR(we have two) then demand a job there. Wait for the job to finish(successfully Y continue) then start demanding job streams, one after another not in the same time, then ask user for input if DATA for a specific stream is present or not and run/not run jobs. Also the job needs to identify certain return codes ( known ) and take corrective action ( force complete, cancel etc in CA7), with unexpected return codes program should halt execution and inform user then wait for input to continue or not.

It might seem confusing and I appologize for it but , please, can you advice me on what can I use to code such a interface driven processing tool ? REXX? COBOL ? JCL ? JAVA?

I appreciate your most prompt reply.

D
HASPBABY

Re: Ok, here is my newbie question

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:11 am

I would not call this a "small project"! First, you have to find out what kind of interface you can use with CA-7. That may dictate which language or tool(s) you use. You are talking about using cross-LPAR communications, accessing multiple address spaces, interactions with CA-7, and you're probably talking about a team of very advanced, highly technical programmers (not one -- a team) taking months -- if not a year or two -- to complete such a project. The user interface alone would be a nightmare on a mainframe (you cannot just "wait for the job to finish" by tying up a terminal -- what if the job runs for sixteen hours, as has been known to happen? You want a user waiting at a terminal, doing nothing, for 16 hours? So you need a way to handle event waits while putting together some way to monitor executing jobs.

With your experience level, I highly recommend you reconsider this "small project" and come up with something more feasible (or leave things the way they are).
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: interface driven processing tool ? REXX? COBOL ? JCL ? J

Postby MrH » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:17 pm

It seems to me that the project is to design a user interface for CA7, and CA has already provided one.
MrH

Postby HASPBABY » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:11 am

Hi everyone and thank you for answering.

It is not acceptable for a job to run for 16 hours, ours usually take maximum 10 minutes, in extreme cases 2 hours but that is only once a month. I am not sure about accessing address space, but to mainly communicate with CA-7 on a different LPAR and "fetch" the return code. I understand if it is not possible for a beginner to start up such a project, however I will try and be active on the forum and maybe I will manage it.

Thank you all

D(night shift:D)
HASPBABY

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Your site is quite unusual then -- most sites have a few jobs that run many hours.

I don't think you have enough experience to realize the true scope of this project, but if you're determined to proceed, then go ahead. Start by finding the CA-7 documentation at your site and read up on the interfaces CA-7 supports.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to Stupid Questions