Clearing the dead wood?

Clearing the dead wood?

Postby BillyBoyo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Sorry, I don't know if this is the write forum. From the forums (gosh how I am dying to write "fora" instead) I look at, it often seems that someone posts a question (however garbled initally) but then they mostly seem to loose interest and never expand the information relating to their problem, so there is lots of stuff that is "dead" and not much use at all. Topic runs "Garbled question", reply "That is garbled, please be clearer", questioner never heard of again.

It might be a bind, but does anyone else think some "housekeeping" of the above sort of stuff would be useful? It would make the board look better for new people arriving. Just a thought.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Re: Clearing the dead wood?

Postby mongan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 pm

It sounds like a good idea to me, but this would probably mean that the forum managers would have a lot more work to do. If this was done then you would not get so many meaningless threads when you do a search.
mongan

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Usually Moderators do these things but we have our regular Jobs to do as well and yep then some threads are left unattended.
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Postby mongan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:59 am

I think the better solution is to have a questionare when posting a new thread - with some required fields requiring the poster to think before they can create a new post. I do not know if this can be done though.
mongan

Postby BillyBoyo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:14 pm

mongan wrote:I think the better solution is to have a questionare when posting a new thread.

Maybe we could try it with a "sticky" that sits at the top of the forum? "READ THIS BEFORE FIRST POSTING OR ELSE", something like that in the title?
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Return to Suggestions & Feedback