How to create a report on which batch jobs used most CPU

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

How to create a report on which batch jobs used most CPU

Postby deucalion0 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:46 pm

Hello all,

I have been trying to figure out how to do this for a while now. I felt RMF was my best bet, I have been studying RMF using the associated Redbook as well as all the help panels. I think the information I am looking for is listed under:

Monitor III > Resource > Processor Usage

I can sort the report options to show only batch jobs, but I am not sure if this is the correct info I am looking for and I am not sure how to save this as a report which would be sorted by most used for the entire duration of the RMF data, approximately 6 hours worth I think.

I have looked into certain SMF record types and wondered if maybe running a report against these records using option Postprocessor in RMF to create a report.

All in all, I am not sure I am even going in the correct direction to create report on the top 10 batch jobs which utilized CPU.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

Thank you!!
deucalion0

Re: How to create a report on which batch jobs used most CPU

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:55 pm

RMF data is generally the type 70 through 78 SMF records, which provides information about Workload Manager workloads and service classes. Individual job data is written in the SMF type 30 records, which I don't think RMF does anything with. The analysis done will depend to some extent on what tools you have available -- if you have MXG, for example, you can create job-level reports quite easily. Without MXG but with SAS, you could write a SAS program to extract the type 30 records, summarize CPU usage by job, and sort. This is a bit more difficult but by no means impossible (although it does pretty much require using the trailing @ SAS INPUT format). Without SAS, you may be able to create a report using your site's SORT product, or you may have to write a program in the language of your choice to read the SMF records and process the type 30 data. I wrote a COBOL program a while back to read SMF data so I know it is possible, if not easy, to write programs to analyze SMF data.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: How to create a report on which batch jobs used most CPU

Postby deucalion0 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Thank you for your reply Robert!

I never realised that it was not straight forward to read this data. I eventually came across Syncsort''s Ironstream which puts SMF data into Splunk for very easy reading.

Thank you!!
deucalion0

Return to System programming