Create SMS Compressed datasets manually

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

Create SMS Compressed datasets manually

Postby deucalion0 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:50 pm

Hello all,

I need to perform a test on an SMS Compressed dataset, but we do not have SMS Compression defined in our SMS Constructs.

Is there a way to compress a dataset manually in both Generic and Tailored formats?

I have been reading the Redbooks and manuals all morning and I do not believe I can do this, hopefully I am wrong.

any advice is appreciated!!

Thank you!
deucalion0

Re: Create SMS Compressed datasets manually

Postby NicC » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:09 pm

If your site does not use that facility then why do you need to test it? If your site is thinking of going down that route then your storage support group should be doing the testing - or assisting those that have been assigned to do the testing. If that is you then go and see them.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby deucalion0 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi NicC,

I needed to test it because I had to receive data that was perhaps put through SMS compression, I wanted to test to see when and how SMS Compression works. The IBM Redbook on this subject was great but far too detailed for the little time I have available to study this.

Thank you!
deucalion0

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:47 pm

implementing SMS compression is not something that should be done relying on forum replies
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to System programming