Dataset reference details

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

Dataset reference details

Postby Antonyraj85 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi,

I need small clarification. Is it possible to generate who referred my dataset from SMF records. If yes, please share the datails.

Antony
Antonyraj85

Re: Dataset reference details

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Yes, the SMF records can identify who DEFINED, READ, WROTE, DELETED, or UPDATED a data set. The details are complex since SMF data is complex. Expect to pay someone their standard rate (typically around 1000 U.S. dollars or euros per day) if you want detailed assistance. Or, you can look in the SMF manauals and figure it out yourself (look at the type 15 and 42 records, although if the data set is VSAM you need to look at the 60-69 records). Also, if your site uses MXG or MICS, these products vastly simplify accessing the SMF data.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:19 pm

for an almost ready to run tool ( very good in my opinion ) search the net or the CBTTAPE for DAF from Michael J. Cleary
or directly here
http://home.pacbell.net/mcleary/freeware.html
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Just a minor amplificatn of Mr sample's post. You need to look at type 14 and 15 SMF records for non-VSAM datasets. They have the same format, but type 14 is for input access, type15 for output access.

Reading through SMF data is not for the faint of heart. The records themselves are complex, and there are many thousands of them. Good luck!
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to System programming