Creating a one-pack system

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

Creating a one-pack system

Postby gidonlando » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Hello all,
Recently i've been tasked with creating an emergency one-pack system.
I want to create the one-pack from an already running LPAR. It is intended to run on a different machine that is conected to the same DASDs.
The one-pack should contain the minimal requirements for loading the system on the DRP machine.
Problem is i'm not sure how to start.
I've searched IBM literatue and came across a book called "Planning and Instalation", chapter 3 is called "Preparing the Driving System". This seems to be along the lines of what i'm looking for but doesn't contain specific requirements neede for the one-pack.
Does anyone one have any advice or manuals I can use?

Hope the topic is relevant to this forum :)
gidonlando

Re: Creating a one-pack system

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Google is your friend. Googling z/os one-pack system returned 1,740,000 hits and and some of them on the very first page talk about what should be on a one-pack system, how to test it, and so forth.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby gidonlando » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Tried that already, most of the hits are irrelevant, they just contain the words "one" and "pack" in them.
The ones that are about one-pack are outdated and not very informative.
Were you able to find any usfull links?
gidonlando

Postby gidonlando » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:24 pm

I'll try to be more concise,
I want to map all the compponents (DATA SETs, Parmlib Defenitions etc...) that are needed in order to have the most basic one pack that I can IPL from.
gidonlando

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:41 pm

The SECOND hit returned for me contains this:
What Does it Contain?
This is a difficult question - what to include in the One Pack System. You don't have a lot of room on one DASD unit, so you need to minimise what goes on as much as possible. But think about what you'll be doing. You need to:

Startup z/OS. So you'll need system datasets, a catalog, JES spool, security databases.
Access the system. Today this means TN3270 access. So you'll need OMVS, TCPIP and TN3270 up and running.
Logon to the system. You need a logonid that can do anything. This sounds simple, but is very important. Your One Pack System is no good if the only logonid has an expired or forgotten password. I always have three logons that can do absolutely anything. I also like to have a Started Task that runs every time my One Pack System is IPLed. This Started Task:
Resumes these three RACF logons - in case they've been suspended
Resets the password of these logons - in case someone's gone and changed them.
WTOs the logons and passwords to the z/OS console - in case people have forgotten the logons or passwords.
Access production DASD. You'll need:
ISPF and DFSMS.
All production DASD mounted.
All production catalogs connected as user catalogs to your One Pack master catalog - complete with aliases.
Restore packs, datasets, catalogs and databases. So you need:
DFSMSdss or other product that backs up and restores data. This may possibly include DFSMShsm or something similar.
Sample restore/recover jobs ready to go. You don't want to start coding JCL during a disaster.
The ability to mount HFS datasets and edit them.
Access to your tape management software catalog (so you can find the backup tapes you need) and tape drives.
Define hardware. So you need HCD and access to your SYSx.IODFxx datasets.
Other disaster related tasks. I like to have a PDS with a tested job ready to go for every conceivable disaster I can think of. For example:
Catalog restore and forward recover.
Security database restore.
Create JES SPOOL, Page and SMF datasets.
Create Coupling Facility structures.

Creating Your One Pack System
So how do you create a One Pack System? That's something that is too detailed for this article; however here are two places that can help:

Mark Zelden's Website. Mark Zelden is well known in the z/OS Systems Programming community. He's created JCL to create a One Pack System, and also a Two Pack System (with more features that won't fit on one pack). http://home.flash.net/~mzelden/mvsutil.html
Feb 2000 issue of Xephon z/OS. Xephon Updates are no longer being written, however you can find past issues at http://www.cbttape.org/xephon/xephonm/
Seems pretty relevant to me.

You are not going to get a step-by-step cookbook approach from anybody. The precise things to include will depend upon the software installed at your site. Some of the things included on our one-pack system at my site would be completely and totally wrong for your site since your site doesn't have the same products installed.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby gidonlando » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:24 pm

I saw that hit.
When it gets to section about "Creatin your one pack system" it reffers to two external links.
The Mark Zendel link is no longer functional and the second link is irrelevant.
Because I want to create a one pack with minnimum requirements, I don't think the process should be site dependant. I want to know what compopnents are absolutly necessary for creating a 1.9 one-pack.
gidonlando

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:56 pm

First, you're wrong about having a completely site independent one-pack system, especially if it is for emergency recovery -- if your site uses RACF, you need RACF data on the one-pack system; if your site uses ACF2 or Top Secret then RACF would be a waste of space. The same goes for JES2 or JES3, too.

A competent system programmer will start building a one-pack system by thinking about the IPL process. What's the first thing you need? SYSn.IPLPARM -- so you better put one of those on the one-pack system. And if it were me, I'd make the high-level qualifier something other than what your normal IPL uses; if SYS0.IPLPARM is the default, use SYS1.IPLPARM or SYS9.IPLPARM. That shows from the very first console messages that this IPL is not the usual process. Operators have been known to IPL the wrong image, or use the wrong LOAD parameter, and the more clues you can provide the earlier to help identify what went wrong, the better.

What does the LOAD parameter in SYSn.IPLPARM reference? That's right -- two data sets: SYS1.PARMLIB and the master catalog. Your one-pack system better have each of those, then. And it loads a nucleus, so having a copy of the nucleus on the one-pack system might be a good idea, too.

And so it goes -- depending upon what you are referring to as "minimum requirements", you'll need VTAM, TCAS, JES, some of the APF authorized data sets, some of the linklist, some of the LPA, TCP/IP, OMVS, maybe z/FS, and so forth. If you want to use the one-pack system for recovery purposes, a recent copy of the your tape management system software and catalog might not be a bad idea (and assuming you've got the room).

You basically need to take your production SYS1.PARMLIB and go through every member to determine what needs to be on the one-pack system based on that member. For example, you probably won't need the LE compile libraries -- but the LE run-time libraries are probably going to be required. The process will not be fast since there are so many members in the library -- but taking shortcuts here could impact what is possible with the one-pack system running.

And it should go without saying -- test the one-pack system, more than once, to make sure it does what your site needs.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:41 pm

if You look at the CBT tape ( www.cbttape.org ) You will find some files dealing with building a one pack system
( if You are happy with the naming conventions a couple of them will work right out of the box )
see file 434 for additional info

Mark Zelden tools are now here http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby gidonlando » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks a lot,
the Mark Zelden tools were very helpful, i haven't created the one pack yet but i think all the information i need is there.
The tool creates a minimum one pack system for an installation using SDSF, RACF and JES2.
gidonlando

Postby jaggz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:11 pm

You can have a look at : ZCLONE under the CBTTAPE.ORG. ZCLONE contains some XMIT files that can be transferred to your machine and start generating a clone of your existing IMAGE.
jaggz

Return to System programming