Clarification on ACS routines.

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

Clarification on ACS routines.

Postby Viswanathchandru » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:42 pm

Dear all,
Not sure whether this is the right place to post the question. If not please transfer this post to the right topic. Here in my shop i was given a task of writing an ACS routine for some dataclass. Yes, it was intially good and easy to proceed. Now after activating the new dataclass i found the dataclass that was created before this is not working. Say, XX2 is the newly created one and XX1 was exsisting one. After activiating the SCDS i found XX2 working and XX1 is not. Getting the error as
DATACLASS XX2 NOT FOUND
. Apologies if i'm wrong. Please let me know in case if i need to give more information.

Thanks
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: Clarification on ACS routines.

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:18 pm

firs of all ... it is just plain wrong to activate an SMS configuration without verifying it
second ... what is that is not clear in the message You received ?
the ACS DATACLAS routine assigned/passed thru a NON EXISTENT dataclass
if the ACS routine assigned the proper data class just define it with the appropriate parameters
if not fix the ACS routine to assign an existing/defined data class

Say, XX2 is the newly created one and XX1 was exsisting one. After activiating the SCDS i found XX2 working and XX1 is not.

DATACLASS XX2 NOT FOUND

I would say that XX2 assignment does not work !

anyway the values returns by the ACS routines for any class must be in sync with the relative definitions

what had You expected as an answer ...
it' s odd that You asked, You should have been able to understand the message meaning and take care of it on Your own
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby mikereis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Make sure you activate the SCDS that contains the DATACLAS definition. Use the console command /D SMS to display the SCDS and ACDS that are active.
mikereis

Postby mongan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:02 pm

It sounds like you were assigned a task that you have not been trained for, or have you worked with ACS routines before? It is critical to know what you are doing and to know the quirks of the ACS routines. As already mentioned, you should test the cases and see what the ACS routines assign. Post the filters and the logic if you want us to help you find the problem.
mongan

Postby mikereis » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:49 pm

There are at least three steps you need to take once you have made changes to the ACS Routines:

Translate - Similar to compile
Validate - This will check to make sure any definitions (used be called constructs) that are referred to in the ACS routine, exist in the SCDS.
Activate - Ready to go.....

DATACLASS XX2 NOT FOUND

If you ran the validate this should have been caught at that time. Doing the Translate/Activate without a Validate (especially when adding or removing constructs) is never a good idea.

After activiating the SCDS i found XX2 working and XX1 is not.

Do you mean the ACS routine is not assigning the XX1 dataclas when you believe it should be? If that is the case, send the ACS code as mentioned previously.
mikereis

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:15 pm

looks we are at loss here.. how nice if the TS could be so kind to clarify :D
see the starting post and my remark .. about

... After activiating the SCDS i found XX2 working and XX1 is not.
DATACLASS XX2 NOT FOUND
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to System programming