IODF knowledge.

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

IODF knowledge.

Postby Viswanathchandru » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 am

Dear all!
I have been given a task of creating a new IODF. To be very honest i dont have full knowledge on IODF and IOCDS. I dont want to depend on KT as they will give the content on what i should work alone and i wont be able to get a global knowledge. I would like to know something about IODF and i tried Google and it landed in some infocenter topics. It was good but i would need to know the basics. Can anyone help me on this. Any useful links/documents/ideas would be really helpful for me in gaining knowledge. Not sure whether this is the rite place to put this question. If this is not please transfer this question to related post. Apologies if i'm wrong.

Thanks,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: IODF knowledge.

Postby mongan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:08 pm

I have been a system programmer for almost 40 years and I would not dare to work with the IODF without someone looking over my shoulder that has already worked with it and knows the configuration. So, in my opinion you definitely need to talk to someone in your shop, you also need to know the hardware configuration of your shop.
mongan

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:09 pm

why not look at the IBM HCD manuals
starting from here
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/ ... index.html
and clicking on the link for Your zOS level ?

I was going to make the same remark about the lack of skill but since the TS told us
I have been given a task of creating a new IODF.
somebody over there knows better than us :geek:
so why should we waste time worrying and advising on good practices and friends ?
nobody will care about them anyway ;)
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi enrico, Thanks a lot for your time and reply!

Enrico wrote:somebody over there knows better than us
Hidden thing is always before a question i post here as advised by many guru's including you my first hit would be the people around me. They would give some idea's but i need to know the basics. with which i can build myself in the area in work. This made me to ask suggestions from the global guru's.

Enrico wrote: so why should we waste time worrying and advising on good practices and friends
Defnetly i cant take this as waste of time. Its upto the individual. Apologies a ton if i'm wrong.

Thanks,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Your last post is completely useless...
if You do not know the basics, why some idiot assigned You a task for which You do not have the skills.?

and Yes You are completely wrong
the majority of the people replying have quite a few years of experience in the various IT expertise areas
so sharing our experience with people unwilling to listen is, yes I confirm it, a waste of time

we are a help forum, not a substitute for proper organization setup :evil:
and assigning to an unskilled person the task of building an IODF is a symptom of a poor organization with poor practices

I already gave You a link to the root of all IBM manuals and the buzzword for it HCD

and building an IODF is not something for which You will find any help on any forum
too many things to explain, too many questions to ask

This made me to ask suggestions from the global guru's.

then tell them that they are incompetent idiots...
or thieves that ask others to do at no charge the job they are getting paid for
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:31 pm

Building an IODF requires an intimate knowledge of the machine, the hardware attached such as channels, disk drives, tape drives, virtual tape libraries, and many other things. With the additional knowledge that if you get things wrong, you may wind up not being able to IPL the machine at all. At our site, IODF development has been a team effort to ensure as little got missed as possible due to the high possible consequences.

If you've been asked, with no prior experience or knowledge, to develop an IODF by yourself, then your site deserves whatever happens when the IODF is implemented.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby kenk_1998 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:27 pm

I have been a Systems programmer for a number of years. I have managed IODF in the past. It's been a number of years since I last had to add a device and although I think I could do it after reviewing the manuals, I wouldn't even try without someone guiding through a few updates successfully. Unfortunately I don't have that option right now.
Been looking for a refresher course. I would like a refresher so when I do sit down and someone with experience on that processor guiding me I wouldn't have to re-learn everything.
I have been looking for a a class to take that would apply to the latest processor & operating system. So expensive!
kenk_1998

Return to System programming