Error while reading PS File: "I/O error reading data"

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

Re: Error while reading PS File: "I/O error reading data"

Postby NicC » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:15 am

Where should I enter this?

Ever tried using Google?
"HRECOVER blah.blah NEWNAME('blah.blah2')"
What is blah.blah? DSN??

Yes: the blah blah means your data set name.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Pedro » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:54 am

You should read the help for the HRECOVER command to get the exact syntax. The point I wanted to make is to recover it to a different name so that you have both the current data set and the back up available at the same time. Also, you may want to use HLIST command to determine if there are even older backups (you may not want the most recent backup data set).
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby steve-myers » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Pedro, it's quite possible rahulrkdd does not have HSM, or HSM is not backing up the data set for the same reason rahulrkdd can't read the data set. Regardless, he should be using his support structure for this purpose. That's why they are there. If nothing else, rahulrkdd's support can tell him how to recover the data set.

I agree the data set should be recovered to a different name.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby phunsoft » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:21 pm

steve-myers wrote:Pedro, it's quite possible rahulrkdd does not have HSM, or HSM is not backing up the data set...

I thought that as well. But, HSM commands are often not made known to people outside the storage team or support organization. They instead are given some ISPF application where they can more easily get a list of backups and the option to restore.

But still he once seemed to be almost there when he ran the IEBGENR job to reset the DCB attributes. He posted that IEBGENER is complaining about conflicting DCB attributes. We do not know whether he suceeded with my suggestion to also specify RECFM=FB on the SYSUT2 DD statement.
Peter
phunsoft

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:36 pm

probably time to lock the topic, it' s leading nowhere :geek:
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Previous

Return to TSO & ISPF