FTP data from Mainframe to Windows

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

FTP data from Mainframe to Windows

Postby samurai007 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi,

Am working on Mainframes thru QWS3270 Plus.

I want to FTP "Data" from mainframe to my Windows desktop.
"Data" can be a PS file, GDG version or a member of a PDS.

I am doing it presently using the "Batch Transfer Files" option present in the Tools menu of QWS3270.

I would like to know if this is possible using a JCL job ??

Thanks !!!
samurai007

Re: FTP data from Mainframe to Windows

Postby MrSpock » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:21 pm

samurai007 wrote:I would like to know if this is possible using a JCL job ??

I doubt it. FTP is a standard Internet-based protocol for data exchange between a client and a server:

FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL

In FTP, the client is the side that initiates the connection, and the server authenticates the user and provides the means for the exchange of data. In your case, the mainframe will have to be the client. That means that you need an FTP server to be active on your desktop. Unless your desktop is running some version of a Windows Server O/S, I doubt that you have that service available. Also, I doubt that your desktop has either a static TCP/IP address or a domain name, so just the act of connecting to it via TCP/IP might not be possible. You may also have firewalls and other security issues to address.

Also, most shops will not allow users to even invoke the FTP program without proper RACF or ACF/2 authority.

I'd suggest that you talk to your data transfer, desktop, and/or network engineers and solicit them for a solution. My guess is that they'd rather have you use Secure FTP to a standard corporate FTP server, and then map it as a network drive to your desktop and access your files accordingly.

As an alternative, you can look into the possibility of using the ISPF File Transfer (Option 3.7) Service. You'll need to install and configure the agent (the ISPF Client/Server workstation agent) on your desktop. Once installed and active, you can use ISPF Services to transfer data.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby samurai007 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks a lot !!!

We already are using that 3.7 option.

I just thought of automating it using a JCL, so that all you need to change each time is your login id, ip address and the file name; so that we could submit it as a batch job !!

Any idea if this can be tried out ??
samurai007

Postby MrSpock » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:06 pm

samurai007 wrote:Any idea if this can be tried out ??

Yes, as I already mentioned, you can write a program that calls the ISPF File Transfer Services and then run that program in a batch ISPF job. The job will ,of course, always need to be provided with the TCP/IP address of your workstation WSA agent.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby AdriaanOlivier » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 pm

hi im new to mainframes whats an easy way of sending my mainframe dataset to my window desktop. How does the 3.7 command work
AdriaanOlivier

Postby MrSpock » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:05 am

whats an easy way of sending my mainframe dataset to my window desktop

- Usually it's using the menu options on your PC3270 emulation software for sending/receiving files to/from the host.

- Starting an FTP session from your desktop to the host and sending/receiving files that way.

- Cut & paste in the emulator.

- Emailing the file as an email attachment.

- Whatever else your site allows you to do outside of these options.

How does the 3.7 command work

See Appendix A. Installing the Client/Server component.

See Appendix B. Configuring communications for the ISPF Client/Server.

See Download data set to workstation utility (option 3.7).
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby samrat189 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:02 am

In our work location, we connect to our shop thru a VPN. I had tried with the IP given by ipconfig (in cmd) to connect to the WSA but failed. So what could be the correct IP address?
samrat189

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:27 am

Hello,

So what could be the correct IP address?
Completely site-specific. You need to talk with your network people.

Also, if your intent is to ftp a file from the mainframe to your Windows desktop, you will probably not be able to do so. For the mainframe to send a file via ftp/jcl, the destination must be configured as an ftp server. Most desktops are configured as an ftp client, but most organizations do not permit desktops to host an ftp server. Again, this would be something to talk over with your network people.

If you have a file on a mainframe and want to download it, you should be able to do this with very little difficulty. Again, the network people can provide the ip address of the mainframe ftp server.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to TSO & ISPF