How to start macro from ispf primary option menu

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

Re: How to start macro from ispf primary option menu

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:47 pm

from Your profile
Student - Mainframe Beginner - Bloody Noob

I'm almost apt to open a bugreport for that missing feature This seems so vital for me that I can hardly believe there is no way to realize that on the mainframe itself.

I would add also bloody arrogant :D

but then all the zillion of people using ISPF must be kind of stupid for not having realized the importance of such request
and be satisfied by just typing dslist or reflist
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

I would add also bloody arrogant

not to offend anybody... :D
just for compliance with the style of the bloody noob :evil:
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Hello,

This seems so vital for me that I can hardly believe there is no way to realize that on the mainframe itself.
I keep my eyes open. Maybe there's an anfractuous way to do it
One of the hurdles of learning something like ISPF from scratch is there are so very many basics. . . After you've become somewhat familiar/comfortable with the overall usage, you will have a different perspective on what is vital.

Suggest you speak with the seniors (or the support people if they will talk about this) on your system. If it was vital to your organization, something would already be in place. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Of course you can write your own clists/rexx execs that will automate a process and add acces to them from the menu system. Or you caan add them as commands to a command table but you are getting into semi-advanced and advanced topics for which it might be better to go on a course or at least read the relevant manuals and use the TSO help sytem extensively - which you should be doing anyway if you are a newbie - or even not a newbie if you are trying something which you only do rarely.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby prino » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:27 am

haribo wrote:Hello out there :-)

Let me say that I'm quite new to the mainframe world first. So here's my question:

Is it possible to start a macro right from the first ispf panel's option line (primary option menu)? I guess there is, but how can i do that?

I just wrote my first Edit-macro and it works fine as long as I have set ALTLIB by hand. So I guess it can't be much harder to do the same thing with ispf itself!?

ADDCMDS
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Previous

Return to TSO & ISPF