TSO TIME command service units?

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

TSO TIME command service units?

Postby gokulNmf » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi,

When i give the command TSO TIME in my ispf screen, the command executes and prompts
IKJ56650I TIME-02:28:29 AM. CPU-00:00:01 SERVICE-65819 SESSION-00:37:31 DECEMBE
R 16,2010

In this
Time - is current time
Session- is the total time since the session is started
& day

What is CPU here, it is always 00:00:01 what is its significance?
what is Service, each time i execute its value changes?

Thanks in Advance :)
Cheers,
Gokul
gokulNmf

Re: TSO TIME command service units?

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:51 pm

CPU is the actual CPU time used, as opposed to the elapsed (wall clock) time. Service units is an IBM measurement of system usage:
One “service unit” originally related to an actual hardware performance measurement (a specific model’s instruction performance). However, that relationship disappeared many years ago as hardware and software evolved. MSUs (million service units) are now like other common (but physically imprecise) measurements, such as “cans of coffee” or “tubes of toothpaste.” (Cans and tubes can vary in physical size depending on brand, market, and other factors. Some coffee cans contain 13 ounces and others 500 grams, for example.)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Bill Dennis » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Each processor/speed combination has a different SU coefficient. Your RMF CPU reports will display your value. This is the number that is multiplied with CPU seconds to get Service Units used. This allows for a common measurement of a unit of work on machines of varying speeds.

If you issue the TSO TIME command after doing other work in your session, you should see CPU time consumed has increased along with the Service Units.
Regards,

Bill Dennis

Disclaimer: My comments on this forum are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity.
Bill Dennis

Postby gokulNmf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi,

Thank you Robert and Bill.
Cheers,
Gokul
gokulNmf

Return to TSO & ISPF