Compiling C; make file?

Help for C/C++ for MVS, OS/390 C/C++, z/OS C/C++ and C/C++ Productivity Tools for OS/390

Compiling C; make file?

Postby zatlas1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Looking to port some open source to native z/OS, the main obstacle is the make file!
That file, however is generated, tells the C compiler what to compile and how to resolve dependencies. To the best of my knowlede from the last time I have done C on the mainframe, there was no such a beast on MVS and all dependencies had to be rsolved via the JCL (correct order of libraries for headers in SYSLIB, etc.) I could not find any evidence for usage of make file in the IBM literature, but that does not mean anything.
Is there any use for make file in compiling C (or C++) under z/OS or is compiling still done only the old [JCL] way?

Thanks
ZA
zatlas1

Re: Compiling C; make file?

Postby Robert Sample » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:52 am

z/OS Perl uses make files in Unix System Services, but there's no JCL involved -- just OMVS or telnet to a Unix System Services port.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby zatlas1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:18 am

No i need native zos not uss
zatlas1

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:31 am

Hello,

Whoever supports the pl/i compiler on your system should already have working compile jcl . . .

While the manual will not be knowledgable of your system configuration, it can tell you what is needed to do a compile on the mainframe.

I don't "do" pl/i, so i can't even guess at the specifics or alternatives.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby zatlas1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:47 pm

Dick
a) it's C not PL/I
b) I know how to compile C and/or PL/I, COBOL or whatever have you. I've just asked whether the new C compiler on z/OS has any use for 'make' files. It seems that the answer is "NO", so I will proceed with that in mind
Thanks all
ZA
zatlas1

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:35 am

A make file and its use would be a property of the operating system / environment; it would not be part of the language. And classic z/OS has no capability to generate or use make files. Unix System Services could generate and use make files -- for C as well as other languages -- but you've already ruled out using Unix System Services. Hence the answer to your question is that under the restrictions you have imposed, what you want to do cannot be done -- period.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby zatlas1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:36 am

Thanks
Thant what I've thought
ZA
zatlas1

Return to C, C++