How to install C/C++ compiler on z/OS (Marist)

Help for C/C++ for MVS, OS/390 C/C++, z/OS C/C++ and C/C++ Productivity Tools for OS/390

How to install C/C++ compiler on z/OS (Marist)

Postby chan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm completely new to mainframe (current self-taught). I'm using z/OS from Marist College. From ISPF menu, I see that C/C++ are not installed.
So my question is how can I install these compilers? I only tried z/OS for 2 days and at the moment the only thing I can do is create a simple data set, so please ignore my noobish! More generally, is there an easy way to install an application for z/OS?
Any references or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
chan

Re: How to install C/C++ compiler on z/OS (Marist)

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:37 pm

In short, no. You are sharing an operating system that everyone uses, and "personal" copies of things like compilers are not the way it is done.

There will be a department at the college who are responsible for technical support for the system. They are the ones who install/give access to things.

If you want to use C/C++ and you don't have access to it, talk to your tutor first to find out how.

You might want to try to check what "No packed data" actually means on that screen.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby chan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks a lot. It was actually my guess.
chan

Postby steve-myers » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:58 pm

An IBM C/C++ compiler and an associated run time is installed on all z/OS systems. It is not the fanciest IBM C/C++ offering, but it's there. Look for cataloged procedures with member names CBCxxx, CCNCxxx or EDCxxx to compile and link edit C/C++ programs in batch. There is C/C++ support for ISPF HILITE.

I think the NO PACKED DATA reference on the panel refers to support for ISPF packed data by the compiler. ISPF packed data is a data format supported by ISPF that compresses data in the data set. It is RLE type data compression, not the fancier bit oriented data compression used elsewhere, but it is fairly effective.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to C, C++