uuidgen/uuid_creat(dce/uuid.h) path for z/OS v1.13

Help for C/C++ for MVS, OS/390 C/C++, z/OS C/C++ and C/C++ Productivity Tools for OS/390

uuidgen/uuid_creat(dce/uuid.h) path for z/OS v1.13

Postby tdzs » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:42 am

I had a c++ executable on z/OS v1.12 which depends on uuid_create / uuidgen to generate UUID. z/OS v1.13 has dropped support for DCE. Can anybody point me to recommended route that I should take to replace uuid_create / uuidgen (and not include dec/uuid.h header) calls to support my executable on z/OS v1.13. Any help/pointers would be very much appreciated. Please note this is USS and PDSE dataset supported executable. There was a mention of opengroup in guide - but I am not completely sure of that route.
tdzs

Re: uuidgen/uuid_creat(dce/uuid.h) path for z/OS v1.13

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 am

How many other applications depend on the DCE infrastructure ?
what was the alternative choice for discontinued/unsupported products when the zOS migration was planned ?
and DCE in particular ?

googling for DCE zOS should have returned this link
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v ... herego.htm

and the suggestion

Distributed Computing Environment (DCE) and
Distributed Computing Environment Security Server (DCE Security Server). This base element has been removed from the
system. IBM recommends the IBM WebSphere® Application Server, the IBM Network Authentication Service, and/or the IBM Directory Server as replacement
strategies for each of the DCE technologies. See the DCE Replacement
Strategies Redbook at http://www.ibm.com/redbooks. V1R13
Distributed Computing Environment (DCE) Application
Support This base element has been removed from the
system. It facilitated the interaction between DCE clients and CICS® or IMS™ regions. With the continued evolution of technology
and accompanying changes in the marketplace, there is no need for
this support. If similar function is required, IBM recommends that you use IBM WebSphere. V1R13
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to C, C++