Issue using Java VSE Connector Client code

Support for Java SE, EE & ME, JVM, JNI, JDBC, EJB, JFC, JPDA, JAAS,JCE, JAXP, XML and Java API.

Issue using Java VSE Connector Client code

Postby matt_w » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:13 pm

I have code that has been working perfectly in production for several years and now has stopped working. We are using VSE Connector version 5.1 and I am using the Java jars for version 5.1.

The code connects to the mainframe and issues JCL commands and ends...however, the program hangs like it is waiting on the response from the mainframe (the JCL does execute on the mainframe).

The code is using: com.ibm.vse.connector.VSEPower() class and using method 'executeJob(String, String)'....but this code runs without ever ending.

Any one have any suggestions?
matt_w

Re: Issue using Java VSE Connector Client code

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:28 am

Is the job executing on the mainframe? Has something changed about the job (this question probably will need to be answered by your site support group)? If someone on the mainframe changed the job class, for example, to delay your job, it could impact your process.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby matt_w » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:17 am

Yes, the computer room operator confirmed that the passed JCL is executing. The IBM VSE connector code is expecting output from the JCL to be put in the POWER list queue...but it doesn't appear that is happening (which is why the code is just polling looking for output to return saying that the JCL executed).

No changes have been made to the JCL.
matt_w

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:00 am

I have code that has been working perfectly in production for several years and now has stopped working.
This statement indicates that something changed. It could have been an OS upgrade, or a software product upgrade, or merely applying maintenance to software, or a parameter change made a job that used to run in seconds run for hours causing your lack of response after submitting the job -- but something changed. And while we can make suggestions, we don't work at your site and hence do not know what processing is going on, or what is being changed, or when the changes occur -- so you need to work with your site support group instead of this forum.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby matt_w » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:09 am

Oh...you don't work here? Never would have thought that.

Yes, VSE has been upgrade to 5.1....I have been working with my department operations group....the question was a broad general question to see if anyone has had any issues with the VSE Connector after upgrading to 5.1 (any gotcha's)....particularly related to the code supplied by IBM --> VSEPower.executeJob(string, string)
matt_w

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:26 am

OK, so this is a Mainframe forum for Beginners and Students. Over 99.9% of questions are on z/OS. There's not much current experience of VSE here. Bottom of the page, 2nd from the right, you'll see a link to the Expert's Forum. Not a lot of current VSE there either. Again over 99.9% z/OS.

Perhaps since this would seem to be something to do with an OS upgrade you could raise a PMR with IBM? I think you need to do a bit of searching to find VSE help resources on the internet.

If the job running is not putting its output in the spool, it would seem that is most likely where to look for the problem rather than your connector. What type of queue is it, printer or punch? Is it being routed to a printer, physical or virtual? Can you show the JCL for that job? What is that program doing? What other output comes from the program?
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Return to Mainframe Java