Universal command manager UCOPY

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Universal command manager UCOPY

Postby chintu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi. I am using universal command manager in my project to transfer files between unix and mainframe. Usually we deal with txt files. This time the requirement came like this:
We have to copy the XML files from Unix server to Mainframe through ucopy command of UCMD in JCL. But Iam not being able to copy it to mainframe. Please help.

How do i copy the xml file from the Uix server to my mainframe?

Thanks
chintu

Re: Universal command manager UCOPY

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:45 pm

the chances of getting help for an addon product are pretty slim.

googling with "universal command manager" returned 1.100.000 hits ( Your mileage might vary )

the first one was ...

https://www.stonebranch.com/confluence/ ... 0954839000

Universal Command 5.1.0 Reference Guide ( might be outdated AFAIK )
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby chintu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:02 pm

I am familiar with the Stonebranch site. Thats the first thing to look at when I am mentioning Universal command manager. Since there is nothing related to XML file in the manual, i want to know if there is any way i can create a JCL to copy the XML file to Mainframe? because the requirement is to directly send the xml format to the mainframe with no conversion. Please help. I mean can i create a FTP JCL?
chintu

Postby Robert Sample » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:05 pm

How do i copy the xml file from the Uix server to my mainframe?
The usual way we recommend on this forum is to use FTP. If you want to use UCOPY, you need to contact the vendor's support and find out three things from them: (1) where the manuals are and (2) how to download them so you don't have to ask them such questions again, and (3) how to process the file you want to process.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby chintu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi Robert. Thanks or the reply. UCOPY is out of the question now, because its allowing only .txt , .csv, xls or xlsx files to copy. But when i tried copying the XML. the job is failing.
Now my question is. If i create a FTP jcl, do i have to include the mainframe password along with the userid?. If so the JCL will fail, when I try to transfer the file from Mainframe to windows, because i wont be having the password for the windows server.

Long words Short: MY requirement is........copy xml file from unix to mainframe. and then mainframe to windows. Mainframe acts as a host here. So if i have to include the Password for the windows server, then i cant.

I am sorry if its still not clear. Never tried FTP, either in cmd windows or through JCL.
chintu

Postby Robert Sample » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:13 pm

First, you need to decide if you are invoking FTP from the mainframe or the Unix / Windows server. If you invoke FTP from the mainframe, as long as you are connecting to a Unix or Windows server (and not a desktop) then you can have your site support group work with you to set up a NETRC data set (or use an existing one). A NETRC data set allows FTP user ids and passwords to be stored in the data set instead of the JCL; usually the site support group puts additional security on the NETRC data set to prevent people from reading it so only FTP can get the passwords stored in the NETRC data set. And you do not need the password for the windows server -- you need the user id and password YOU use to sign onto the Windows server. Since you can store many user ids and passwords in a NETRC data set, you could store both the Unix server and Windows server credentials in a single data set.

It is curious that you are not considering doing a rename of the file on the Windows server to have a .txt extension, transferring it to the mainframe using UCOPY, and then renaming it (if required) back to .XML (or whatever you are using for the file extension. Depending upon the specifics of the XML, this can usually be made to work (although there can be issues if the XML file on the Windows server is not using the default code page). Again, you would want to work with your site support group to do this correctly.
copy xml file from unix to mainframe. and then mainframe to windows
Why is the mainframe involved at all? Why not go directly from the Unix server to the Windows server? Unless there is something being done to the XML on the mainframe, what you are wanting to do makes no sense since you wouldn't be needing the mainframe at all.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to JCL