creating new version of GDG

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

creating new version of GDG

Postby samdip.m » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi,

How do we create new VERSION of same Generation of one GDG. Please be clear that i wnna new version not generation...i.e
suppose i have "samdip.test,gdg.g0001v00" gdg and i want "samdip.test,gdg.g0001v01"

Please gimme some solution...
samdip.m

Re: creating new version of GDG

Postby Robert Sample » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:45 pm

If you read the JCL Reference manual, you will find that you must catalog the new version using the fully qualified name SAMDIP.TEST.GDG.G0001V01 -- the old version will be uncatalogued automatically.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:57 am

Hello,

Why do you believe you want/need to use "version"?

What kind of business requirement makes this necessary. Or - Is this just another solution looking for a requirement?

I only ask because i have see 10's or 100's of thousands of gdg datasets across several thousand applicaton environments and have not yet seen a need to use a version for one of these datasets. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby samdip.m » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:21 pm

Actually as we are changing existing code so my seniors asked me to put code like this so i was looking for solution. Thanks for helpfull information. I don know much about his pgm but as a beginner i will look forward to acquire knoweledge of such things as well
samdip.m

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:19 am

Hello,

Actually as we are changing existing code so my seniors asked me to put code like this so i was looking for solution.
I expect that your "senior" has been misunderstood or does not themself understand what is needed. . .

I don know much about his pgm but as a beginner i will look forward to acquire knoweledge of such things as well
Why does knowledge of the program have anything to do with "generation" or "version"? What is to happen when the "next" file is created?

There needs to be a much better understanding of what is happening before something is just thrown in because of needint do to something".
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to JCL